VS 2022 Compiling Error

I’m running into some issues - I want to use Visual Studio 2022 instead of VS Code because I’d rather have the full IDE, however, when I try to “build” my project, it gives this error and fails, when it compiles fine in the unreal editor…

Build started...
1>------ Skipped Build: Project: UE5, Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win64 ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
2>------ Build started: Project: ObstacleAssault, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2>Running UnrealBuildTool: dotnet "..\..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll" ObstacleAssaultEditor Win64 Development -Project="C:\Users\user\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\ObstacleAssault.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild
2>Log file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
2>Invalidating makefile for ObstacleAssaultEditor (working set of source files changed)
2>Parsing headers for ObstacleAssaultEditor
2>  Running Internal UnrealHeaderTool "C:\Users\user\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\ObstacleAssault.uproject" "C:\Users\user\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\Intermediate\Build\Win64\ObstacleAssaultEditor\Development\ObstacleAssaultEditor.uhtmanifest" -WarningsAsErrors -installed
2>Total of 2 written
2>Reflection code generated for ObstacleAssaultEditor in 0.9995615 seconds
2>Unable to build while Live Coding is active. Exit the editor and game, or press Ctrl+Alt+F11 if iterating on code in the editor or game
2>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3073: The command ""D:\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" ObstacleAssaultEditor Win64 Development -Project="C:\Users\user\Documents\Unreal Projects\ObstacleAssault\ObstacleAssault.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6.
2>Done building project "ObstacleAssault.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========
========== Elapsed 00:02.820 ==========

I have no clue why this issue is happening, it seems like it might be trying to compile everything in the project, even though im only editing one or two files?

Also, live coding seems to compile perfectly fine for some reason…

You can’t build externally with Live Coding enabled and the project open.

Yeah, finally got that figured out! I’m curious what the point of live coding is, as it just compiles in the editor, meaning you have to go away from your code to compile it…? it doesn’t seem to even auto-compile or have any special features…?

Live Coding is just a different implementation to HotReload which is to allow you to compile with the project loaded. Typically you would overwrite the .dll when you compile but it can’t do that if it’s currently loaded by Unreal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms