VR Goals for a greater future

My first goal is:

• Get a VR headset…

After this I will start experimenting with coding a simple button-press mechanic, where I will press virtual buttons to make things happen in VR:

• This will all be in 3D…

I plan on following the course after I’m done with the C++ unreal game dev. course on Udemy. Taking slow steps to follow along, and experimenting with the things I learn, to make it my own.

My side project is classified :stuck_out_tongue:

The platform that I’m going to get is a Quest 2 with a link cable.

I’m mostly looking forward to the whole interacting with my self-made 3D objects, and creating functions out of those :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Timmy.
Welcome to the VR Course. It’s a great idea to finish the C++ course as the VR Course is a lot more complicated.

With the Quest 2, you don’t need an official Link Cable. I started with a standard USB 3 Phone charger that was 2m long but later bought a 5m cable. The price is about 20-30% of the official cable and does the job. Buy a decent one however.

If you have a USB-C port on your PC, use that as well. Otherwise I’d recommend you have at least a USB 3.2 port otherwise performance will me limited - even with that I only get 72FPS on the headset which is fine for development. You can use the WIFI Experimental feature but I’d then recommend getting the elite headband with battery pack instead as the battery life is about 3 hours max.

I hope this helps. Good luck and hope you’re enjoying the courses so far.

Thank you for your advice, and response.
So, my android usb C to usb A cable will work just fine, if I’m just sitting next to my computer?

I really enjoy the course on Unreal Engine with C++, so far, thank you :slight_smile:

It will as long as it’s plugged into a USB 3 port and it’s a suitable length. The one I have is about 2m long. These cables are quite inexpensive - I think I paid about 10GBP for 2 on Amazon and they are of good quality.

Privacy & Terms