VR Goals etc

Hi everyone, excited to be here! Here are my questions answered…

VR Goals - To build a successful VR app that focuses on breathing, meditation and general wellness

How do I plan on taking the course? Start to finish but if there are longer sections that have nothing to do with my application I may skip for now.

Platform - I have an Oculus 2 but plan on developing the app for Steam for the flexibility it gives

Looking forward to - I just got my Oculus the other day and I’m totally blown away how far the tech has come and I’m really excited to develop for it. Most of my experience is in Houdini so you always have to flatten the 3d world to 2d. I’m really excited to be able to explore the environments I create and be fully immersed! Also looking forward to being able to hopefully help people cope with the ever-growing stress of life.

Hi Peter
Welcome to the GameDev community.

Sounds like a nice little application you have planned there.
The difference between developing for Steam and Oculus (Quest?) 2 is minimal, only that you have to watch the size and quality of images being rendered on the device.

I am using the Quest 2 myself wired to the PC and with minimal changes you can switch to SteamVR - it’s mostly the controller input.

I hope you enjoy the course. Good luck!

That’s great to know, thanks! The unreal learning portal seemed to divide courses between Oculus and Steam so I wasn’t sure how different they would be. But it’s nice to know that I don’t have to think about that before building the application.

I’m hoping to be able to use a third party biofeedback sensor for my game which would require the PC to process the data and turn it into OSC data for Unreal to take in. Is it possible to release games for Oculus that only run on PC or would that application need to be released on Steam?

1 Like

That I’m not so sure on. A colleague of mine used a Raspberry Pi with sensors however which streamed data to Azure which the application was then able to access. This might be a better approach so have an application that communicates with the cloud of some kind (doesn’t really matter which) to store data which can be accessed via your application using a restful api or something.

As for Quest vs Steam. They are different in a lot of ways. Coupled to a PC, you can treat them the same but using a standalone quest 2, there’s a lot of additional factors such as the limited processing power on the quest, as formidable as it is, and battery life. Lower quality puts less load which could extend battery life.

Interesting! Good to know, ya my plan is to stick to wired PC for now. Especially now that they have that virtual VR app. Just out of curiosity, was the example with your colleague using the wireless Oculus? I was wondering if there was a way to get network data to an app on there. Thanks, sorry all the questions!

1 Like

Truthfully, I’m not 100% sure. They were using it as a tech demo to provide overlays from sensors in real-time using the daqri and hololens AR devices. The tech is the same however. The Raspberry Pi was just a test scenario where they attached a temperature sensor and a couple of others and uploaded the data from the device to the cloud - probably restful api.

You could do it on the PC by logging data to an sql server express, sqllite or other such database and then provide a way of extracting it to unreal.

hi man.
Im very interested to learn how did the 3rd party sensors work and how did it work out…

Privacy & Terms