Visual Studio Code not listed under External Script Editor

I’m at the early stages of the Unity C# course and I’m meant to select an External Script Editor, but despite Visual Studio Code being installed, it doesn’t appear in the pulldown (the pulldown is empty - it only has “Open by file extension”. I can’t find any recent messages that mention this issue.

1 Like

Hi,

Please follow the instruction on this website and make sure all required extensions are installed: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

If the issue persists, please check the console of VS Code (not Unity!). If the .NET Framework 4.7.1 (Developer Pack) is mentioned there, download and install it from the official Microsoft. Here is the link: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net471

Depending on your version of Unity, it might be that you will have to install the “Visual Studio Code Editor” package in Window > Package Manager in Unity.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + P in VS Code.
  2. Type “OmniSharp: Select Project” and press Return.
  3. Select the solution workspace entry.

Maybe you’ll have to reboot your computer. Then launch Unity again and open one of your scripts.

If nothing helped, install and use Visual Studio (Community Edition). For some students, VS Code simply does not work well. Maybe due to a problem with Unity, some update or whatever.

1. Download VS and follow this instruction.
  2. Select VS as your External Script Editor in Unity (Edit > Preferences > External Tools).
  3. Install the “Visual Studio Editor” package in the Package Manager.

That should work. :slight_smile:

See also:

Oh man, I’ve had this problem. Made me wanna pull my hair out. The struggle is REAL!

Keep at it! Listen to Nina, she’s really good about this stuff! You’ll get it soon!

Thanks for the reply. Ultimately I think it just couldn’t find the install path. My C Drive is running low on space so I had installed it on a different drive. After installing it on C, Unity detected it.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms