Visual Studio Code Errors with Toon Tanks

I have been following along in the Unreal Engine Developer course, and just started the new Toon Tank section today. I just installed Unreal Engine 4.25.1 for this section (was doing the others in 4.22.3), and downloaded the starter project. My copy of Visual Studio Code is displaying errors talking about the include paths:
#include errors detected. Please update your includePath. Squiggles are disabled for this translation unit. This doesn’t seem to be causing any real issues, as the Unreal Editor is compiling without any errors. However, Visual Studio code is showing them, and I am just blindly typing what the instructor is saying, as Visual Studio Code is not providing any meaningful feedback, which I assume is due to the above error. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

I think I may have resolved this by doing two things.

1. Make sure you download and add the defines.txt to the c_cpp_properties.json in your project.

2. Open the terminal and set the terminal to CMD prompt. I think the include errors might be related to the default powershell.

Give that a go and see if that fixes it for you as well.

EDIT: Actually that may not have fully fixed it. It looked like it but there other intellisense errors now.

M.

2 Likes

Hey there! Are you using UE 4.25? Then please check this link -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/unrealcourse/permalink/2553991121530838/

2 Likes

Hi MorkOz,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question :-). I am taking the course over on Udemy, so I was unaware of the defines.txt file, nor the video helpfully linked by Aryan_Kumar. I just downloaded, and applied the defines.txt, and fingers are crossed. Thanks!

UPDATE!!! That defines file is specific to Windows, and does not work for Mac. I had to tweak it quite a bit, but it seems to be working better now. I am still getting some spurious errors in VS Code, like incomplete class and such, but at least Intellisense seems to be working now!

Rich S.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms