Visual Studio 2019 Auto Completion is not working for scripts

I found this post, which describes the basic problem, but it is closed:

Reading it gave me a good idea though. Instead of double-clicking on the script icon in Unity, I brought up VS2019 and browsed to the Solution file and opened it. Now it is providing auto completion for the UnityEngine.UI elements of the code.

In the 2D lectures I can see he is simply double-clicking on the script icon and getting this to work, so it sounds like there is a configuration in either Unity or Visual Studio 2019 that needs to be set for this.

Any suggestions as to what needs to be set where?

Mike

Hi Ivskiprof,

Please watch lecture “Fixing Visual Studio Problems” (currently #4 in the Unity 2D course, and #7 in the 3D course). Did this help?

Hi Nina,

That did help. I had moved from a VM to being native on my system and had forgotten to set Visual Studio as the external editor.

However, I think that in addition to that there was a setting I enabled that is not shown in the video. In Unit Preferences for External Tools there is a checkbox now called “Generate all .csproj files”. When I clicked that, closed everything, and restarted it I now see completion of the Debug name when I type “deb.”. That never happened before and I know I had set VS as the external editor in my VM version, so I think this is important.

Note that I am using VS2019 and Unity 2019.3.9f1, so this appears to be a new setting. Maybe the video needs to be updated to show this, since he is using VS2017 and Unity 2018 in it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

Follow up note. I tried it without that checkbox selected and auto completion still works.

Thanks for the help.

Thank you for letting us know that the video helped you fix the issue. :slight_smile:

I have been doing customer support for many years, so I know how important it is to share in the forum what the solution was.

Regards,

Mike Riley

Technical Support Supervisor

www.quixant.com

Tel: 702-522-7849 x3003 Cell: 702-241-6099 Fax: 702-522-7158

image001.png

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms