Visual studio 2017 MAC community edition - how to get a settings.json?

Hey folks,
this started pretty simply: i wanna show / hide the minimap which i think is super useful when your code starts to get … bigger.

THen realized almost all the articles online have information mostly about the Visual studio commercial version or windows version…

I’m on a MAC - i have plenty of other IDEs ( im a devops guy by trade) i prefer intellji but really like the unity<->VS integration and its all fine…

but how the heck do i get to configure the thing the way i want it? articles suggest some kind of “code” -> preferences ( this doesn’t even exist on my version) (which is latest from website at this point in post) … i know where preferences are! just i dont see it aligning with most articles and howtos from VS themselves

But i just want to be able to customize specific aspects of my MAC VS 2017 CE … am i the only one having these issues?

as far as the minimap goes: workaround on mac is to go to preferences (KEYBINDINGS) and then bind a key to show/hide minimap… this works but it leaves you with the unhighlighted version so you kind of dont even know where you are in the code vs the map (hope that makes sense) however based on knowledge base articles it seems you can customize that setting in the ‘settings.json’ which doesn’t exist on my mac (did a find and a locate to see and doesn’t show up) dont know how to generate one either! or where it should live in the paths

Privacy & Terms