Visual scripting in Unity using Bolt

Bolt is a fantastic tool for visual coding, which some people including myself find easier to absorb and enables you to see your code in action. It is also a great introduction/addition to learn coding.

Bolt has a very active discord channel with well over a thousand users and the developer is constantly working on improvements and features which sound very promising.

The only thing lacking are in depth tutorials and I feel gamedev.tv would make the best course. This could also bring in more customers for your other courses as I’m sure the rest of the bolt community would be interested and then buy your other courses in unity and blender.

Thanks
Tony

I would love to see this!

When I first looked at Bolt it seemed like it could be an alternative to learning C# but to be honest I haven’t found it much easier. You need the understanding of C# to get the logic of programming, but the interface of Bolt makes it MUCH easier to see what your code is doing.

I would love to see some kind of parallel learning - like here are the concepts in C#, and here is how you would do this with Bolt. If GameDev TV did a Bolt version of one or two of the existing projects that would be amazing!

2 Likes

Unity now has visual scripting built in - I would love to learn the visual scripting but also learn some scripts that you can add to it so make more complex things happen. I have researched and it seems like visual scripting can save time and also be easier for the artist on the team to work with/understand. So a combination of both scripting and code appears to be where the sweet spot is. I would also love a course covering visual scripting in unity. Please create a course on visual scripting - there is not many resources out there to learn this and I would like to learn it.

1 Like

Tony, I agree with adding some more depth to it. As an introductory standalone for beginners, this does a great job of warming you up to the form and function behind visual scripting.

Sometimes it’s a challenge to cover the gamut of what visual scripting can do. You find yourself thinking, “Okay, I see how that works, but I had no idea that node existed for that purpose.” And that’s where building off this course would be great – even if it were a separate intermediate course to dive into the possibilities.

And now that visual scripting is integrated into later Unity versions, it could be a good opportunity to use later versions directly in the tutorials. Some more concepts could be weaved into other game types, like RPG, point and click, action platformer, augmented reality, and so on. There are courses by other instructors out there that touch on these, but it would be great to get the gamedev.tv magic touch for these topics!

Privacy & Terms