Visual Audit of my scene

There’s a lot and by my assessment, at least half of it would actually need more than just a few minor tweaks and some set dressing…

1. The starting area is too close to the bottom border of the terrain. In order to make it look not too bad (like showing the outside area beneath the terrain) I had to set the camera angle fairly steep but also had to stay close enough and this limits the visible area quite a lot. Another thing I have to fight with are the dead zone settings. Moving towards the bottom of the terrain is quite difficult because (despite the dead zone area being set to just a fairly thin stripe in the middle of the frustum) the player moves quite close to the bottom of the view and thus there is almost no room to click on to move any further (what works a bit is like having a sail boat moving against the wind and having to come about all the time, which is really awkward to do and not a good thing when trying to flee from a guard).

2. The hill sectioning blocks sight on the player in a lot of places and also makes some positions unreachable, not because they’re not part of the NavMesh, but simply because one cannot click anywhere when the line of view is blocked by them. OTOH a certain amount of height was needed in order to break the NavMesh connections to actually make the pathways I had intended with them. To solve this, the base of the hills as well as the paths would need to be much wider, so there would be a visible track at all places…

3. The placing of the huts in the dwelling is rather bland. Having a settlement at all didn’t really fit with the narrative I had thought about my scene, anyway. All that would have needed would be a single hut for having a guard post. I then considered also having some sort of “workers camp” so there are a few more huts, but it doesn’t really add up… The placement of the storage sheds (left hand side of the map) doesn’t really help it, too…

4. The patrol paths are fine for the behaviour of the two patrolling guards, but don’t work at all with the cinematics. To make that more viable it would be better to have one guard going up and down the road for getting tracked by the cut-scene camera. A bit of the same applies to the remote guard that patrols the “backside path” in that zig-zag on the map’s right hand side.

5. Not seen so well in this overview from far away (the trees are culled by the distance) but the tree density needs to be adjusted. Having them as a barrier doesn’t work for movement but just too well to obscure the view.

6. The river is too shallow and the height difference between its shores and the water line is too small. This made it quite difficult to set up the shore to be impassable as well as configuring the bridge in a suitable way. Very minor changes in the terrain can break the bridge (which then becomes impassible, or the bridge opens a path to step into the river (but not get back).

For all the time I has the issue that smoothing terrain wasn’t really effective. Now I know that the key is to apply a high opacity when doing so. Most of the time you want it quite low, unless you’re a fan of a one-click Himalaya…

With a bit of effort the area at the back is now raised in a way similar to what I had originally in mind (with the whole level progressively elevating from some starting height up into a hilly or mountain area, where the connection to the next part is supposed to be leading into a cave of some sort).

Just a quick addendum after going through the “macro polish” lesson for which I used my “hub” scene to replace the previously existing trees with the newly added variations:

As you can see, I already planned a bit for possibly adding at least another scene sometime, but for now that path goes nowhere…

BTW: There are some variation settings on the terrain tool itself, but its height differences (at least at my cautious setting) didn’t seem to accomplish much, and neither did the one for colour variations.

To add some light into my scene I re-purposed the Club from the GDTV weapons and made some sort of big torch out of it to be stuck into the ground…

And a different viewing angle from the scene view:

Privacy & Terms