Version control

do you use a version control if so what one

1 Like

Blender default version control can be seen by saving the .blend file.
It has ā€˜-ā€™, and ā€˜+ā€™ buttons to decrease or increase the number in the filename.

For beginners, save a lot and use this basic file version control. I did file saving this way a lot! But It isnā€™t helpful for things like my ā€œdefault_cubeā€, and my ā€œcube_with_bevelsā€.

Just use it when you do try things out for the first time, when you merge objects (for sculpting), etc. Those unrecoverable and destructive moments.

If you think, Iā€™m going to use it in the future, sure a good idea. But at the beginning of the Blender journey. Your models donā€™t have that much reuse, because new insights and techniques will be improved. It is better to restart than spend a lot of time tweaking a model which is in a bad state of design.

Currently, I mostly have two versions. The one Iā€™m working on and a fail-safe copy. Created just before I do destructive things. If you have multiple backup copies, none of them will have a reusable state. Because each copy will probably have an item that you want to use, pre-reserve or else. But Iā€™m a more experienced Blender user. I know upfront which kind of actions are dangerous.

If you mean GIT as version control. Yeah sure, but your .blend file isnā€™t a piece of code. Cherry-picking some objects etc. Just use small objects and store them as an Asset in an Blender asset file structure. If you create a new version of it, copy and save under a new asset.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms