Version Control problem (heavy asset pack)

I have started the Simple Shooter section. Since the provided assets are such heavy, my version control seems not to be able to push to remote properly… So I decided, at least for the moment, to add these asset’s path to my gitignore file.

I’m trying to use LFS: I registered .uasset and .umap files to it but pushing all the content get stuck.

I’d really appreciate if someone could show me a way to accomplish this versioning. I’m using Visual Studio 2019, and I’m controlling Git via the VS developer shell.

Thank you for the help :slight_smile:

EDIT: I discovered that after 1GB Git LFS is not free… and the provided asset pack is over 3GB :neutral_face:

I just went through this and switched to gitlab instead of github.

1 Like

How I would do is to ignore the AssetPack folder and whenever you use something, move it out of there into your root content folder and have that tracked.

2 Likes

For now I think I’ll try the “ignore and move when used” way, thank you @DanM and also @myrhillion.
Just another question: move one asset seems not to be that easy thinking about the future, because of dependencies with other (maybe a lot) assets.
Doing that locally for now is transparent, because moving an asset from inside the editor also automatically create the redirector… but when in the future I’ll clone my remote repo, how can I be sure that Unreal will recognize this “work pattern”?

As usual, I learn something from DanM posts. I might try that on the next one as well.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms