UV Unwrap Question -- Complex Shapes

Hi,

I was following lecture 44 of the Environmental Artist course and running into some troubles when marking seams for the unwrapping. My bridge isn’t the standard one that Mikey was making, and I am not sure if that’s why, but even when I ‘seam off’ a group of faces the unwrapping does not change from the standard ‘un-smart’ unwrap. to get something more similar to what I am seeing in the video I need to actually select individual groups of faces to unwrap which can be time consuming and part of me is starting to wonder if maybe it is better just to do the smart unwrap and realign some of the groups of faces together and rescale since the groups are mostly there.

Normal:

Smart:

Individual:

Any ideas why this is happening?

What I get for not finishing the video before checking in – Mikey ends up doing something relatively similar in the end, though I suppose different knacks will be involved for different shapes.

Here are a couple shots with top angle, bottom orthographic to give an idea.

Normal:

Smart:

BottomSmartpng

Can you share a screenshot of the archway? From what I’m seeing in your unwrap I suspect you either have some doubles or some abnormal geometry. The other possibility is you’re using yesterday’s version of blender which seemed to ignore user defined seams and unwrap settings. So, make sure you’ve got the latest release and then you can try checking for doubles (now called Merge: by Distance ) and strange geometry.

2 Likes

Please update this topic as it will close in 7 days for inactivity :slight_smile:
Please mark a solution if it has been found.

Thanks

Privacy & Terms