Using The Array Modifier 08:00min mark: regarding Normal along the Z axis

Good evening, its me again. Hope you guys are doing well. Please forgive me for any mistakes in my sentences, English is not my first language.

I have a specific question regarding the video on the 8 min mark after the lecturer explained he turned on the normal facing on that’s why the stairs of Z axis is actually moving along the global Y axis. I have the understanding that Z axis is at the top. Is there anything that I am missing out?

1 Like

Mikey had the TRANSFORMATION ORIENTATION set to normal.
It was the result of something he did previously. That is why it gave odd results and he explained why and changed the setting back to Global.

That is the dropdown box top middle. By default, it is set to Global. That works with the xyz as you expect. However other options are in that dropdown to change how things like movement are controlled or influenced. Obviously earlier Mikey had a reason to use ‘normal’.

In the case of transform orientation set to normal, the Z axis is up and down from the selected face’s point of orientation.

1 Like

Ah! I see Z axis is up and down from the selected face’s point of view. I get what you mean! If the whole cube is selected, the orientation would be probably upwards if Z axis is selected.

1 Like

It is a little trickier than that as a whole cube has lots of normals, so basically you would not be set to normals orientation. ‘Normal’ orientation is mostly for select control of a face, or a few.

But I think you have the basic idea now.

2 Likes

Yes, xyz direction can be confusing because it depends on the viewport config. Default is the world, with Z is up. But it can also be something else. Or depending on your model (face, edge) selection. NP5 explained it nicely, why Michael did something.

Some other software 3D packages, do have Y is up.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for answering my question. I have a better understanding of the concept now

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up! I didn’t know that Z is not universally consider as up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms