Using Google Tilt Brush for Level Beat Chart/Design

I have been experimenting with Tilt Brush this week and after watching Rick’s Level Beat Chart video, I thought of using Tilt Brush to do my level design! Wow, it’s SOOO fun and such a fast way to build out my beat chart.

First, I sketched out my beats on the whiteboard:

Then I took a y-axis isometric screenshot of my current game, so I could use it as a guide in Tilt Brush:

I then imported the image to Tilt Brush, created a flat surface guide and drew out the path outline, then imported my whiteboard sketch and numbered my beats:
Untitled_8_00

That gave me the structure I needed to then just start getting creative. I didn’t even know I wanted to add a volcano until I started drawing :slight_smile: What a fun evening:
Untitled_8_05

5 Likes

Very cool approach! I might have to steal this idea :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Please do steal the idea Greg and share your creation! Would love to see it :slight_smile:

Wow so cool! thanks for sharing!

Especially Like the volcano!

really cool!

I thought of doing this but then got lazy! Great stuff! Maybe I’ll try it on one of the later games.

For that flythrough shot can we assume that you were running around your room like an airplane?

1 Like

How did you draw on the whiteboard so well in Google Tilt? Is there an option so you can write on a surface, rather than floating in front of it? Or did you just have a super steady hand?

1 Like

I don’t know what floors me more: the level or the fact that you literally walked through your level

1 Like

So late to respond, so hopefully you get this. Yes, was flying around my room. Tilt Brush lets you hold the camera, so my hand was the ‘airplane’ :slight_smile:

That was a photo of my real life whiteboard. I have a wall in my development room that I painted with whiteboard paint.

Privacy & Terms