Using Cursor Affordance

I had a go at making my own cursors instead of what was provided in the video using Game-Icons.net Take a look and let me know what you think!

1 Like

Very nice Roy and well done :slight_smile:

Initial thought regarding the sword is that I’d probably rotate it so that the pointy end of the sword was in the top left corner, it would then operate in the same way that the walk cursor does, there would be no confusion for the player.

1 Like

Ah of course! Good idea!

Much better :smile: Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

No worries, only a suggestion but I think it gives the impression of pointing “up” rather than “down” etc… If you are using the above you might want to scale it down too :wink:

Haha yeah it’s blown up there in that photo. But I’ll scale it down to the size Ben had in his video.

Cheers Rob!

1 Like

:wink:

You’re very welcome.

Just as a further thought, depending how adventurous you want to be and the style/theme of your game. I was literally just playing Age of Empires : Castle Siege, and one nice feature they have when you click something/somewhere is a little puff of vapour/cloud/smoke etc that emanates upwards from the point of your click. If you were to implement something like that, you could perhaps remove the “Flash” effect around the blade of the sword in the sprite, and then use the same effect for the walk cursor too… will see if I can capture you a little glimpse of what I mean in a sec…

Updated Tue Oct 16 2018 18:14

Turns out it doesn’t do it if you click anywhere, its only when you click on an object, but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t make yours a little different… again, just a thought…

Privacy & Terms