Using Blender 2.81a

Hello,
I wanted to ask if there were any major changes when using 2.81a? I’m still going through the Complete blender course and got this one because I thought it would be fun. But noticed it uses 2.79.

The major differences between 2.79 and 2.8x are these:

• Complete overhaul of the user interface UI (left mouse is select) - This involves some learning, but you need to do it. It is the new way to go.
  • Eevee render engine for faster (game style) rendering (this is fun)

I did the 2.79 course. Then they introduced the 2.8x so I did some challenges to learn 2.8 UI.

1 Like

The Complete Blender Course is currently being re-Mastered for Blender 2.8, every lecture is being re-written. Currently they are about 2/3 of the way through at a rough estimate so if you have not started on the 2.8 part of the course you could well get going, with luck they might stay ahead (in producing the 2.8 lectures) of your progress through the course if you don’t go too quickly. If not and you run out of 2.8 material the earlier 2.7 lectures are still available on Udemy so you could try using the 2.7 lectures in a 2.8 environment, although it might be a bit tricky as the 2.8 interface is quite different to 2.7.

In terms of 2.81a specifically in comparison to 2.81 as I understand it 2.81a is a maintenance release so should not have any significant functionality differences to 2.81. Indeed the differences between 2.81 and the 2.8 release are small and should not present any major problems. There is currently a 2.82 version in beta which is due to go live at the end of February 2020 with some functionality enhancements, but these are mostly in the area of 3D sculpting so again shouldn’t present any major issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms