Using array modifier to create a circle of objects

So I’ve got my floating island that I want to have fence posts all around the edge, and I’ve seen online you can achieve this using the array modifier and an Empty at the center of said circle but uh… well mine has done something very strange. They just kinda get bigger and bigger

Any ideas what’s going wrong? I’m in version 2.9

P.S My category and tabs are totally stuck so sorry to anyone seeing this in the discussion in future

I’m sure merge should be off, but I started clicking randomly lol

2 Likes

Have you applied the rotation and scale on the posts?
Object offset will only move the next copy away from the previous one by the size of the object, touching in other words.

Hopefully, this will show you the settings and the origin positions at the same place both the empty and post.
Vary the distance X in my example and or the rotation of the empty in Z to suit.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

2 Likes

When this happens, as NP5 tels you, your rotating object isn’t clean.
Or your rotation is off center, like moving the empty OR object independent from each other.

What I always do, is to add another EMPTY as the parent of the object and rotation empty.
Blender uses world coordinates for your object and rotating ax. moving one of them will create funny but irritating effects. But parenting them to an object or empty, you can move this parent object to move the array objects.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms