Use the force!

My Realm Rush game so far. I used MagickaVoxel for the art, just remember that Magicka is not particularly game efficient, you’ll have to import your models to another program and remove the extra vertices, doing that removes almost 2/3 of the total vertices, so it’s worth doing.

Remember that there’s a FREE MagickaVoxel mini-course here on the site.

ezgif-2-c847ece9a9

7 Likes

The force is with you. Your skills as a GameDev are improving, padawan.

1 Like

Hey! Really good looking game! How did you do the smooth turn rotation?
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

This is super cool! I love the approach you took!

1 Like

I created a basic turning coroutine that lerps the ships rotation towards the desired quaternion while the ship is in a corner, you can now that with a tag or adding some sort of tag (like a bool, enum, string), to the Tile script.

The ship has two turning animations that roll the ship in the direction it is supposed to, to know which animation to play I used dot product. There’s an issue with this whole approach, the ships won’t move while in a corner, this means ships can get on top of one another, I fixed this, I explain how below. Here’s the entire original coroutine.

private IEnumerator RotateShip(Tile tile)
        {
            Quaternion startRotation = transform.rotation;
            Vector3 lookTarget = tile.transform.position - transform.position;
            lookTarget.y = 0;
            Quaternion lookDirection = Quaternion.LookRotation(lookTarget, Vector3.up);

if (Vector3.Dot(transform.right, lookTarget) < 0) { animator.SetTrigger("TurningLeft"); }
            else { animator.SetTrigger("TurningRight"); }

float rotationPercent = 0f;
            while (rotationPercent < 1f)
            {
                rotationPercent += Time.deltaTime * rotationSpeed;
                transform.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(startRotation, lookDirection, rotationPercent);

yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
            }
        }

To fix the issue of ships getting on top of one another I make them move while turning.

ezgif-3-64b5664c43

private void MoveShip()
{
    Vector3 positionWithHeight = path[objectToMoveTo].position;
    positionWithHeight.y = transform.position.y;
    transform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(transform.position, positionWithHeight, speed * Time.deltaTime);

CheckRotationType(positionWithHeight);

if (objectToMoveTo + 1 < path.Count) { SetNextTile((transform.position - positionWithHeight).sqrMagnitude); }
    else if (!missileFired) { Shoot(); }
}

private void CheckRotationType(Vector3 positionWithHeight)
{
    if (path[objectToMoveTo].CompareTag("Corner")) { RotateSmoothly(); }
    else { transform.LookAt(positionWithHeight, Vector3.up); }
}

private void RotateSmoothly()
{
    Vector3 normalizedTilePosition = path[objectToMoveTo + 1].position - transform.position;
    normalizedTilePosition.y = transform.position.y;

Quaternion rot = Quaternion.LookRotation(normalizedTilePosition);

if (!rotating) { StartCoroutine(AnimateTurn(normalizedTilePosition)); }

transform.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(transform.rotation, rot, Time.deltaTime * rotationSpeed);
}

private IEnumerator AnimateTurn(Vector3 normalizedTilePosition)
{
    rotating = true;

string animationToPlay = Vector3.Dot(transform.right, normalizedTilePosition) < 0 ? "TurningLeft" : "TurningRight";
    anm.SetTrigger(animationToPlay);

yield return new WaitForSeconds(1.1f);

rotating = false;
}

The main difference is that the ship now needs to know if the next tile is a corner so it can start rotating before hand and that the moving doesn’t wait until the turn finishes.

Instead of caching the transform rotation before the turn, I’m using the transforms actual rotation, this makes the ship turn even if the t value in the lerp function never reaches 1. This has a disadvantage, as the ship gets closer to the b value the turn slows down and it never actually reaches the desired quaternion, so I still have to set it to the final desired rotation to avoid weirdly rotated ships, the advantage of this is that it looks slightly more natural.

I’m still using dot product to calculate which animation should be played, I’m just using the ternary operator instead of an if/then statement.

1 Like

I think it looks great. I still have yet to tacking this issue myself. I like the way the ships ‘slide’ around the corner. It fits well for this type of game.

1 Like

Wow, I really like the look of this. Good work!

Privacy & Terms