Updated Video Coming...?

Using Unity 2019 LTS does not work as the Unity assets in this lesson are from 2018 and are deprecated.
Using Unity 2019.1.0 does not allow me to turn off autogenerate lighting, or even to look at my lighting settings for my scene without a crash to desktop.
Using the current version of the “Standard Assets,” the named “Starter Assets” use the new input system, making any code written in this lesson surrounding input nonstarters.

Is there any chance an updated video is in the workings, in a more stable version of unity?

Hi @wizen,

The content of the “Complete C# Unity Game Developer 3D (2017-2019) Online Course” is archived. We do not support it anymore. A couple of months ago, Rick and Gary released their remastered Unity 3D course, which was created with Unity 2020. That’s the content we are currently supporting.

I do not know what you did exactly in your case but when importing the Standard Assets into your project, import only the things you need, not everything there is. If the package you need uses the new Input System and does not support the old one anymore, watch one or two tutorials on the new Input System on Youtube and try to replace the code for the old Input System with the code for the new Input System in your code.

Hopefully, this helped. :slight_smile:

See also:

I got it working with a later version. 2019.2.21f1. It still supports the asset packs in the lesson and is far more stable. I would recommend recommending 2019.2.21f1 to anyone having stability issues with 2019.1.0.

Also, if the course content is archived, why are you offering it in your humble bundle? Why do you insist “Start Here” with this “archived” course? Do you like making Autistics cry?

I get you’re just the TA and don’t have a call on any of this. Could you pass these questions up the chain? This is like a school offering discount lessons on Flash in hopes that people will buy their (apparantly) more relevant content. Not cool.

Ah. The current version was purchased along with the deprecated version. I have been following the deprecated version because it is listed a) before the 2021 version and b) with the “START HERE” flag on the corner. Please pass on to the relevant party that they need to de-prioritize old content. It’s only been a couple of months having it up, though, so I guess it’s understandable that ducks not all be in a row yet.

Regarding the issue with the Standard Package: If you need to follow the old content, you could download the assets from GitHub. There is a link in the resources of the video. It’s a bit inconvenient to download things from GitHub (the best would be to simply download the entire project, not single files) but at least you would have the assets that work(ed) with the version of Unity the instructor used in the video.

Thanks a lot for letting us know about this issue with the bundle. Do you remember when you bought it? I know that we accidentally added the outdated course to a bundle a couple of weeks ago but we fixed that issue within 1 or 2 days and replaced it with the new course. If you purchased the bundle a couple of weeks ago, it might be that you got the old course and the new course.

If you purchased it recently, it would be great if you could let us know where and when you purchased it, so our team can take a look into this problem. (I’m just a teaching assistent. I do not have anything to do with the bundles.)

It’s currently offered as part of an active Humble Bundle ( Humble Software Bundle: Learn Unity Game Development (pay what you want and help charity) ) as well as on Gamedev.tv’s Black Friday sales page. ( Beginner Unity Bundle | GameDev.tv )

There is still some confusion regarding the contents of the current Humble Bundle (And the Black Friday sale on this very website). They contain both the old AND new versions, when if I’m understanding the situation correctly you only wanted the newer version available, right?

From Humble Bundle (See my arrows):

I’ve just checked the bundles, and they contain the latest Unity 3D course as they are supposed to. :slight_smile:

Since you purchased the bundle a couple of weeks ago, it makes sense that you also got the old course. I’m glad that you also got the new course because that’s the one that was supposed to be there. I think our team felt this was the best solution because if one purchased something and the content is suddenly gone, one will very likely feel defrauded with a good reason. Getting an additional course “for free” might be confusing but at least, it is a positive surprise.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

They don’t contain the latest course, though.

That’s the latest course.

That includes the 2018 content, but not the updated content, and is the one in the humble bundle and on your black friday sale.

I just purchased the latest course via the link above and the email that directed me to the course content I just purchased, directed me to the 2018 content.

Further, the website’s link to the 2020 course describes lesson for lesson this “Archived” course.

If you’re saying that the 2D course replaced the 3D one, I’m sorry, I don’t consider those two equivalent.

Dear me, I think I made a mistake! :dizzy_face:

Actually, the CU2 tag (see the tag below your thread title) is supposed to point to the archive course (= the one with (2017-2019) in its title). I’ve just taken a look at the Zombie Runner game in our remastered 3D course and noticed that the videos do not have the UY3 tags like the other videos but the CU2 tags. That’s why I thought you were following the super old ZR section Ben created many years ago.

Could you please check if you have the Obstacle Course game in the Unity 3D course? If it’s there, you got the remastered course. In that case, forget what I wrote, and sorry for the confusion.

Regarding the Zombie Runner project, it should still work the same even with newer versions of Unity. The relevant assets from the Standard Assets should still be working if you import only the assets Rick imports. If they don’t, please let me know where you got stuck. If we cannot find a solution, I’ll put the problem on Rick’s list, so he can look into it and update the videos if necessary.

1 Like

The newer versions of Unity don’t work. The old version of the scripts use Unity’s UIText, and the newer versions no longer support that package. I get all sorts of compile errors when using a newer version of Unity. (Admittedly I may have been able to troubleshoot it given a week but that’s not why I bought this course… twice now) That’s why I started using older versions, but using the version Rick uses (2019.1.0) only results in crashing when I click Window > Lighting to turn off auto generated lighting that was making my project chug. I.e. unusable.

Like I said earlier, 2019.2.21f1 supports the legacy starter asset packs and is more stable than 2019.1.0. If Rick makes any changes to this course, I would recommend that changing the recommended package be it. I’ve also made a post to this effect on the first video of the section.

I’ll continue the course with the legacy, non-LTS version of Unity, then. It’s great content, I’m just upset that there’s such a huge hiccup in accessing it.

Edit: Oh, and the Obstacle Course cube dodging thing was how the course started, aye. So I do have the most recent course, it’s just using deprecated packages. C’est la vie.

The old version of the scripts use Unity’s UIText, and the newer versions no longer support that package.

I assume you are getting an error message, aren’t you? If that error message says something like “replace UIText with Text”, double click on it and edit the script manually. At the top of the script add using UnityEngine.UI;, and in the script replace UIText with Text. Save the script. Then it should be working.

it’s just using deprecated packages

By “it”, you are referring to the Zombie Runner project, aren’t you? I’m asking because I would like to tell Rick where and what exactly the problem is.

If the problem persists and you are still stuck, could you please upload your project to GitHub without the Temp and Library folder and share a link to the public repository here? I’d like to take a look into this (as an exception!).

Here is a tutorial video by Brackeys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpXxcvS-g3g

Since other students create this game with Unity 2020 or even 2021, I’m relatively sure that there is just a little detail to fix in your case to allow you to follow the course with a newer version of Unity.

1 Like

I’m not stuck, I’ve got it working now, thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms