Unwrapping Hand - Gives Me The Finger

So for some reason when I unwrap the hand the way that Grant shows, I get a stretched middle finger UV set. (Rude. I’m trying my best! Haha.)

But seriously, I’m not sure why the one finger would be this stretched when the other side isn’t also stretched and I cut them all the same way. Has anyone else run into this? It feels like a blender bug or maybe I’m unwrapping from view on accident?

It’s not a HUGE deal because I still plan to texture in a mostly BNPR style, but I’m trying to still learn this way and I think the stretching will be a problem later.

Thanks!

1 Like

So to anyone encountering this, it’s a very strange issue, but I think it’s based on Blender trying to fill the available space in the UV grid. Since the middle finger was EVERY SO SLIGHTLY longer than the other fingers, it distributed the UVs in that way. I tried a bunch of changes: applying scale (already had but figured why not), smart unwrap, re-cutting the seams, and a few more things.

What ultimately wound up working was just SLIGHTLY resizing the finger itself - and I DO mean SLIGHTLY. Getting it closer to the size of the other fingers evened things out and here’s my unwrap now:

And I defy anyone to tell me the difference between the original hand and this:
But sure thing, Unwrap - very necessary change. :laughing:

2 Likes

That is very strange and altering the size of the finger ‘should’ not make any difference, Blender would just make the UVs small enough to go on the image space in the right shape.

1 Like

Yeah it didn’t make any sense to me either. I’m guessing ultimately it’s a glitch. I would still recommend doing everything else I did first, but if nothing else works, just resize the element slightly and see if it changes anything. It’s truly bizarre, but worked.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms