Unusual deformation when posing my bones

Hi all,

I’ve modelled my lamp and believe I have set up my armatures correctly but I am getting an unusual deformation when I pose my model, it stretches the model out of scale. My pictures will illustrate the problem better…

Before :

After :

I have checked that I correctly disabled deform on all of my bones and have tried locking the scale in each of the bones to ensure that wasn’t affecting anything.

Any ideas at all?

Currently trying to work this out with another student in the Q&A as well on this as he reports exactly the same issue and he unchecked the deformed box right (he even sent me the blend file) and i still cant work out how its distorting in the animation. Unless you both made an error in the rigging by changing something in object mode when it should be in edit mode or pose mode etc as there is a lot of changing in those lectures.

I’ll keep working on it and see if i find a solution as i can definatly rule out bone deform being on.

I had the same problem and was given different advices. However, in the end, I just deleted the armature and recreated it and that helped.

I think the causes of the deformations is that it should be edited in pose mode or vice versa in edit mode not pose mode as i have had multiple students have similar issues.
Remaking the armature and paying closer attention to which mode Michael is in may help you figure out where you went wrong.
I am currently going though the course for the third time (As i do to check the updated videos) and i have hit this section again so i will review it and see if there is anything that i can forward to michael to make this section easier to follow.
It may well be you just need to slow the video down a little to see wwhats happened.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms