Unreal's build-in Source Control

Hi everyone,

I couldn’t help but notice that unreal has a build in source control system that supports subversion, perforce and git. Is there any reason not to use it?
While I think it is good practice for everyone to get used to a source control system by itself, I wonder if certain thinks might be easier to set up using the build-in tools. Does anyone have experience with it?

Cheers!

PS:
I am also a little concerned about using git to track assets. Git is known to cause a lot of problems handling large files. One suggestion to deal with this would be to use git lfs (https://git-lfs.github.com/) for asset files.

we use for our project perforce , and its great! I installed a perforce server on a vm with windows and published on internet with a dns name on changeip.com - The mainly reason was , I am not a coder, I made all the proyect on blueprint, so have no idea about github or tortoisesvn , so start fresh with perforce and works like charm.

I haved used this tutorial to make it works… perforce on ue4

Hi Manoloon,

thank you for your response. Coming from a programming background, I’m used to git but not being able to properly view any changes in blueprint and assets is a huge problem. How is this handled in perforce? Can you actually see what has changed in a blueprint or does it only display that a blueprint has changed without giving any detailed information?

Also, does anybody have experience with subversion in unreal? Since it’s open source I would prefer to use it in my project.

hi! you see, I am quite noob with the whole svc thing hehe , the way I use perforce its simply as I do all the blueprint coding , and then commit to the perforce server, then from the other computers from the stuff I get the project and the last change from the perforce server , that thing really works great . Perforce shows me everything as files and folders, but maybe its because I am noobie with the tool . also , perforce let me commit assets (because he see it as files) and that is quite useful for us. Hope this answer your questions .

Privacy & Terms