Unreal VR course goals

Hi everyone, hope you’re all well. My name is Mark and here’s where I’m at:

What are your VR goals?
With this course specifically, I want to gain an understanding of how VR works in Unreal. I learned Unity for the sake of VR development and have a project I’ve been working on in that, but I’m relatively new to Unreal, and I’m curious how it differs. Also hoping to pick up some tricks, like optimizing polygons in the 3d painting section. Also, it’d be good to know how to save.

I think VR is a cool way to interact with a game, but it remains a high friction medium. My goal is to make games that allow for comparable VR and non-VR support, so you’re not obligated to wear a headset and can play with others who don’t have one.

How do you plan to follow the course?
Just gonna plow through and see what’s new. Will definitely be working along with it.

Do you have a side project?
Yeah, and it’s grown to the sorta thing they always warn you not to do. It’s called Big Mundane, and I’ve been developing it over in Unity for… um… a few years now, a year of which was spent porting things over to non-VR. Here’s some early prototyping Co-Piloting a Plane in VR and Non-VR Networked Play! - YouTube

What platform have you got?
Thanks to Craigslist, I’ve got an Oculus Rift and an HTC Vive with one controller on the fritz.

What are you looking forward to?
Actually releasing something.

2 Likes

Welcome to the course. Hope you enjoy it and look forward to seening the results.

Privacy & Terms