Unreal - Question on Lecture 33 - Importing Bull Cow Game

Hello! I downloaded, and extracted to my desktop the contents of, BullCowGame-starter-kit.zip from Lecture 33 Resources dropdown. I double click BullCowGame, and am greeted with the error:

Game files required to initialize the global shader library are missing from:
C:/Users/Paul/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp2_BullCowGame-starter-kit.zip/BullCowGame-starter-kit/Content.
Please make sure the game is installed correctly.

How shall fix this?

Also, before running BullCowGame, I associated the file type, which is .uproject, with an app, although it might not be the correct one. I’m curious as to which app this file type should be associated with, and also with the question of how to completely dissociate a file type from an app, such that Windows no longer automatically wants to use that app, and basically replacing the icon with a white blank page, which is what it was initially.

That error sounds like the zip wasn’t extracted (the temp directory is what indicates this).

Though the screenshot doesn’t seem to line up with that. Could you post the contents of the log in Saved > Logs?

Unreal should ask whether you want to setup file association when you install it. You can also use Unreal to open the project by opening the engine and then using more and browse options and it should ask if you want to setup file association.

1 Like

Hello, and thank you for answering my question! The first time I extracted the contents of BullCowGame-starter-kit.zip, I just opened the folder with Windows Explorer and click-dragged the stuff elsewhere. Now I downloaded Winzip, and unzipped the contents to somewhere else, but the result was the same. However what ultimately fixed the issue was just that I had to open up the Epic Games Launcher (not for the first time), and it prompted me that not all uproject files were associated with it, and if I wanted them to be and I chose to associate them with an app called “Unreal Engine” with the blue logo icon and that allowed me to open up the game in Unreal Engine. Thanks again for responding! I’m new to this :stuck_out_tongue: Hope it’ll be a more than a few minutes before my next hangup P.S. I couldn’t find the Log before but next time I’ll remember to share it

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms