Unreal crashing frequently, mostly when compiling

Hi everyone! Just started the course and I’m having trouble with this project. It continues to crash Unreal, most of the time when I click “Compile” or try to change the compile settings. Occasionally it crashes on startup or seemingly at random. Here is the error message:

[File:D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 249] Result failed at D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Viewport.cpp:361 with error E_INVALIDARG

So far I’ve tried (in no particular order)

1. Re-downloading, extracting and building the project
  2. Re-installing Unreal 4.22.3
  3. Re-installing Visual Studio Community 2019 (which was probably unnecessary, but I figured might as well see what happens)
  4. Updating my GPU driver
  5. Perusing the threads here and on Unreal’s support forums

I found this forum post where some people had a similar issue and they think it is related to the GPU. However, it was not resolved on the thread.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/feedback-for-epic/1676281-random-crashes-in-unreal-engine-4-23-0

There’s also this thread here, but I’m not sure if the issue was solved.
[Unreal Engine crashing]

I’m working from an ASUS g14 with an NVIDIA 2060 and 16GB RAM.

Any ideas about what is causing the crash?

One user says updating Windows fixed their issue.

I have a 2060 and don’t think the driver is at fault here. Haven’t seen that problem and wouldn’t expect to see it. Though I’m running UE4 in dx12 for ray tracing support, can’t remember if that was default now or not.

Since its related to D3D11, you could try making sure UE4 is running in dx12. That should skip this error and then you can work with ray tracing as well BONUS :smiley:

You can also like DanM says, make sure Windows Update shows its fully updated. You probably don’t need to manually check or apply any optional updates.

In theory, it could be your directx install is a bit weird or maybe you need to do an Nvidia driver install and choose custom and do a clean install which is what I always do every driver install. A clean driver install always keeps more random issues away.

Really don’t know what else it could be. It depends what E_INVALIDARG (the invalid arg) is and where its coming from. You can definitely try to dig into that further. I usually do but haven’t for your post.

Thanks for the replies @DanM and @QueueButton! Just want to update on what I’ve tried/noticed since yesterday:

• Windows is up to date
  • I tried switching to dx12 manually in UE
  • Reinstalled the GPU driver clean with the “Studio” version rather than the “Game Ready” version (as another post on Unreal forums suggested)
  • Getting the same crash when I tried to turn ray tracing on in the Rendering settings, and when I try to adjust anything else related to the GPU
  • This issue is not unique to this project – I created a blank “test” project and UE crashed there as well

Going to keep scouring the internet for a bit today, but if anyone has further suggestions I’d appreciate it!

That’s a really interesting thing there. Very very interesting actually.

Might be an issue with the GPU maybe, or compatibility with that specific one if its factory OC’d.

If you use Nvidia’s Geforce experience something there could mess it up, I don’t know if just reinstalling the driver changes GE since I never use it.

I could recommend a fresh Windows install and if everything fresh still does it then I would expect its related to the GPU physically in some way or deeper software such as the bios. It would either be that or UE4 editor has a problem with your specific model not related to the version 2060. And if a fresh Windows install does fix it then it was messed up anyway so all the better in that case.

But, you will either spend a lot of time hunting down each little thing it could be or take larger leaps. Anything involving or affecting the GPU could in theory cause a problem so you at least have a targeted area.

Eventually, you will eliminate everything possible if you keep at it. If everything is eliminated and its still a problem then there’s nothing you can do and UE4 editor needs a fix.

But, since 2060 works fine for me here, that would be something quite specific that not everyone runs into and figuring out what the code is having an issue with programmatically is the other way to go.

Oh boy. I’d rather hold off on reinstalling Windows until I know it isn’t something else. Games run fine with/without ray tracing. Blender, Unity, and DaVinci all run fine. The only thing that won’t run is UE!

Often that doesn’t mean much though, if those things just don’t use the exact thing the exact way for the problem to happen.

You could just hold off and keep waiting until it goes away at some point. That’s definitely the easiest way to go but then UE4 editor is strictly out-of-bounds until something changes.

Whereas, sweeping changes is the fastest way to go.

Either way, nothing more I can add here.

No worries thanks for your help. I’ll let you know if I figure out a solution or if I end up reinstalling Windows.

UPDATE: Just installed UE 4.25 instead of 4.22 and it seems to work just fine. Ray tracing has some trouble, but without it everything compiles fine and making changes to GPU-related settings causes no problems. We’ll see how this goes… Might end up reinstalling Windows in the near future just to be safe as you suggested, @QueueButton.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms