Unreal C++ Journey

Come follow as I go from a C++ beginner to C++ intermediate to C++ Master.
The goal at the end of the year is get a job as a C++ programmer.

• I will be supplementing the course with a variety of materials.

• I watch a programming patterns video by Christopher Okhravi to learn programming patterns.

• The books I’m reading are Real Time Collision Detection and Game Programming Patterns.

• The courses i’m following are Unreal C++ Course, Unreal Multiplayer Course and ChiliTomatoNoodle C++ Game Programming Course

• I also have a mentor who is providing his old code to help me review what he did and understand the choices he made. He is helping me go through the same process he went through, which I am truly grateful for.

• For version control I am using SourceTree and Preforce .

• Math For Games Course and 3D Math Textbook.

That is everything I will be doing over the rest of 2020. My end goal is a programming job as a C++ programmer. I will be working everyday and posting updates here and my social media. This is a long project and I’m committed to seeing it to the end. I’ve spent January and February preparing myself for this challenge. Today marks the beginning of my journey.

5 Likes

I am starting with Bull Cow Game from the Unreal 4.22 Course.

2 Likes

I did a few lectures to get to this point. I set up my landscape, set up my version control and set up HiddenWord with TEXT() macro.

C++ Programming using Unreal Syntax

Preforce. I am studying Preforce to be able to use it when I get an industry job.

I also use Sourcetree to commit and push to Github. I’m working on doing at least a commit a day to build up my github portfolio.

I watched a video on observer patterns today, I read chapter 3 of Clean Code and Code Complete, and I watched a training video of Preforce. It’s been a busy day. I am also doing a podcast with Ben Tristem and Rick Davidson in a few hours.

My pseudo-code and Bull Cow Game Flowchart so far

1 Like

I spent all day working on Bull Cow Game in Unreal

There is still so much to do and learn. I am going to take my time.

My problem is I like to move fast. I don’t know why. But i’m going to take each lesson one step at a time. I have so many gaps to fill. I am going to go through this version and the old Bull Cow Game and do it on my own like it was my own project. Anytime I get super stuck and can’t figure it out I will go to the videos and study them. Then once I feel like I got it I will attempt the challenge. I will take as long as I need to solve it. If it takes me two days so be it. I have been doing a horrible job at learning programming in the last 2 years. To be honest the only time I actually started grasping C++ is when I slowed down. That’s exactly what I am going to do.

Here I go! Time to push myself ! Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update!

I went to a breaking into the game industry update and got great feedback from a recruiter at Naughty Dog! Her name was Candace Walker and she explained to me what I need to do.

Out of all the other things I need to prepare for she said I need to make my game. So I am going to recreate the Outer Worlds in Unreal into my own sci-fi rpg shooter. I am calling it The United Planets of Galaxies. I started a few months ago but I wanted to study the fundamentals again before I took on this year long project. With the advice from Naughty Dog and with the help of a programmer I’m going to make this game come alive. Most of it is going to be me recreating game mechanics and then later on in the year I am going to art assets and turn it into a real game.

We will see how things unfold throughout the year. A programmer from Naughty Dog mentioned in a reddit post to study Real Time Collision Detection, 3D math, low-level C++ and PS4 architecture. It’s a lot to undertake in the 6 months I have but I create a schedule to help me hit all points. Even if I don’t get a job at Naughty which is a really high bar I should be prepared to take on other beginner C++ programming jobs. Also I’m going to spend all year working on this game and would love to release it early next year.

Here is my first steps in creating The United Planets of Galaxies.

3 Likes

Hey, this catalog of your experience is really awesome. Keep it up! With this much action you’ll nail your goal of being a C++ master and land a gig in no time.

1 Like

Awesome thank you! I am back on track! I am so excited for what is to come if I put in the work!

I’m excited for the new Unreal C++ Update! I have been dealing with a lot but it’s time to get back on the grind. I am going to build the Snake game in C++ and working on Building Escape for the next few weeks! Stay tuned for updates!

Nice, I’m just now getting back into playing around with Unreal too. Turns out I’ve got a bunch of extra time at home on my hands :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha right me too :joy:

I have been rushing through learning C++ that I end up shooting myself in the foot. It’s why I haven’t been able to progress like I wanted to. I just need to put my head down and work. I really need to absorb the knowledge instead of just rushing through. I am slowing down now and going back to the fundamentals. I am going to be a Gameplay Programmer no matter how long it takes. Today I learned about References and Pointers. I also read Code Complete about Pointers and then I did some Unreal C++ videos. I am on the Building Escape Section. In fact I’m working on building a Money Heist themed game. I’m excited to see how it will come out. Lots to do! Stay Tuned!

Here is what I created while taking the Remastered Building Escape section.

I’m doing the Battle Tank section now.

I have been studying a lot of C++ programming. I can say that I really don’t know anything and that I need to push myself harder to understand how to program. I have been so focused on the right answer and not how the concepts work. I’m also going to push myself and participate in the GameDev.tv Community Game Jam. Time to Get After It!

Hey man, this is pretty awesome.
I’m also in the middle of trying to break into the game development industry, but taking it slower.

I want to be well rounded to make my own games, preferably alone or with small team. Which is why I’m starting to learn about 3D modeling, animating, and concept art. I love all those things but feel a bit weak at them.

I am pretty confident I can pick up game programming since I write code for a living and have Computer Science degree. I have not done much game development, just a couple 2D demo games, some behavior scripting in Unity, and created a couple characters for VR chat. I will focus on learning and applying game development skills to create a portfolio after I feel confident in creating assets for a simple game.

I’m wondering what your background is. I’d like to understand your current situations and follow along with your growth. It would also be good to understand how/why you are struggling with c++ and unreal engine. In the future I may try to learn how to use unreal engine, but have mostly stuck to unity.

Have you coded much in other languages? Do you have a degree in related field (Computer Science, Game Dev, etc)? Any other job experience?

Sorry for long reply and thanks for sharing!
It motivates me to hear you work towards a similar goal!

Privacy & Terms