Unreal 5 VR support

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the status of Unreal 5 VR support? Was gonna see if I could follow along with this course with UE5, but so far it doesn’t seem to have the sort of plug-and-play functionality that UE4 does, or anyway I’d need to start with their VR template rather than a blank project.

Maybe there’s a setting I’m overlooking, but right now the VR Preview option is greyed out, and I’m getting the impression some UE5 tech just isn’t ready for VR yet. Is there a workaround, or should I just use UE4 for now if I really want to start from scratch?

Edit: actually just tried the UE5 VR template and VR Preview isn’t working for me in that, either.

The course works. I ran through it using Unreal Engine 5 Preview 1/2 but had issues with the first section as my GPU just couldn’t handle the load.

You need a more powerful GPU for starters - a 1060ti or equivalent isn’t good enough, probably an RTX 2060 or 1080 or something similar.

Next, VR plugins are disabled normally except for the VR Template, which is the opposite of how UE4 worked, so you have to add them in. If you’re using a Quest 2 head set, stick with the Oculus VR plugin - I could not get controls working with SteamVR.

For the oculus, you need to establish the link to the PC before launching - the Oculus software needs to be running. Then Open the editor. This will give you access to the VR Preview button.

If you have a Windows Mixed Reality headset, you must be on Windows 10. UE5 does not support them on Windows 11 or at least in the Preview which is strange because they are actually supported. This may change in future.

Thanks so much for your help. Still not entirely sure what the issue is, but for some reason I couldn’t get it working with a Vive. Fortunately have access to a Rift as well, and that is working fine with the UE5 VR Template.

1 Like

I have got a Rift S and a Quest 2 and both work with the VR Template in UE5, but if I create a blank project there seem to be some render settings which even my RTX 3070 can’t handle for VR. So I am just using the VR template and deleted everything in the beginning.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your reply. Oculus stuff seems to work fine. I was trying to test with a Vive, which worked fine on UE4, but UE5 didn’t seem to detect it at all, so either it’s an issue with the Vive or with SteamVR. Don’t have access to an Index to try that, but anyway I’ll just have to use a Rift for now.

From the sounds of it, the newer bells and whistles don’t play nice with VR. Yet. Starting from the VR template sounds like the way to go

I actually noticed issues with the blank project. I created the project in 4 and upgraded and there were no issues. Also the VR template is fine as well.

Like you said, it seems to be an issue with some of the default settings which causes problems with VR. I’m sure there are settings that can be turned off but what these are, I’m not sure.

Privacy & Terms