Unreal 4.26.2 likes TIF?

Hi I am just asking, in unreal 4.26.2 when I select import the TIF does show up! So I am wondering, is there any downside to importing the TIF over the PNG? or is it OK to use the TIF if its allowing the import?
Thanks!

Hi SHuebl!

I’m sorry no one replied to you a little sooner, but I noticed this right away too, that somehow after years of hating .tif files, UE4 seems to like them now. I can’t find any documentation on when .tif files started working either. In fact, if you go to the UE4 documentation and find the section about importing texture samples, .tif still isn’t listed in the supported file types.

However, to answer your main question, “are there any downsides to using .tif files”. I did a little digging and the primary difference appears to be file size. If you open up a .tif file in your photo editor and convert it to a .png, you’ll find it has decreased in size! As far as use in ue4, in small examples like this, a .tif won’t make a big difference compared to a .png. However, in a larger project, you could be talking about several extra GB worth of texture information alone!

I hope that helped somewhat answer your question! Have a wonderful day.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for your insight.

So many games I’ve modded use .TIF and you’re not lying. Their combined file size adds up!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms