Unity Timeline not playing initially unless scene is reloaded

Any idea why my Master Timeline animation won’t play when I start the Player. Yes, I do have “Play on Awake” enabled. It seems that if I close the scene and reopen it, it will play properly, but if I edit the animation and then hit Play, it just doesn’t trigger. Closing and then re-opening the scene makes it work again. Unity bug or some feature I don’t understand?

Incidentally, if I set things up so that something causes the player to quickly die (even though the animation isn’t playing so they aren’t actually moving), the resultant scene-reload causes the animation to play properly for subsequent runs, but never the first.

EDIT: as far as I can tell, it’s triggered by moving along the timeline somewhere and hitting “space” to play the animation. Before I do that, it will animate properly, but after that it just freezes at the start. I changed Animator > Culling Mode to Always Animate (actually it was that already) and it seemed to make the problem go away, although the scene wasn’t marked as “dirty” so I wasn’t able to save the change. I wonder if this is a Unity 2020 bug?

Privacy & Terms