Unity resets UI elements Y-axis when anchored to top or bottom in canvas

So I ran into this super weird issue where Unity resets an UI elements Y-axis position when I anchor it either to the top or bottom of the canvas. This happens with every restart.
So for example, if I create a new image within the canvas at 30, 25 and anchor it to the bottom center, then after I restart the editor the image is moved to 30, 0.

EDIT: so I just tested this with a brand new project and I found the same behavior. Tested it again with another project I created a few months ago and could not reproduce it there. My current theory is that this is related to the editor version as the older project runs 2021.3.16f1 and the newer one runs 2022.3.3f1.
I moved the new test project to the older version and the issue was no longer present, this leads me to believe that this is a version dependent bug. Also tried the slightly newer version of 2022.3.4f1 and this version also had the described bug.

EDIT2: the issue seems to be fixed in 2023.1.3f1. Can I savely upgrade my existing project to this version? I assume upgrading is less of a problem than downgrading to 2021.3.16f1.

There is a bug in Unity 2022.3 and 4 (confirmed). I haven’t had a chance to test it in later versions. It doesn’t appear to be in 2022.0 through .2.

I haven’t done anything with 2023 quite yet. Do not attempt to downgrade across major versions. You can sometimes get away with downgrading sub versions (say 2022.3.4 to 2022.3.2), but major and minor versions often contain changes that don’t play well and can be unreadable or cause other issues (say going down to 2022.2.?) or outright just be a horrible idea (2022 down to 2021).

Update: Unity has confirmed the bug (it doesn’t matter how many times we tell them, if they can’t duplicate it, they aren’t quick to respond). They promise it will be fixed in Unity 2022.3.5f1.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/canvas-broken-after-loading-project-on-2022-3-3f1.1453069/
https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/windows-canvas-layout-displaced-when-resizing-players-window

Privacy & Terms