Unity or Unreal, which is better for graphics?

Hello, so is unity engine graphics better than unreal engine 4?

Hi Gazza,

I have no experience with Unreal myself, so I cannot really comment. A quick Google search brought up quite a few results and some of them are comparisons. I think its a fairly broad question personally and will invariably depend on what you are wanting to achieve.

Well google sais that c# is not a very good language for coding games and that unity does not have good graphics and unreal engine only supports c++ and i dont want to have to learn a different language, for eg, GTA V or God of war. Graphics in those games is the kind of graphics i want, can unity do that?

Whilst you may write you code using C#, it is often converted to C++ before the native binaries are created, you may have noticed the il2cpp.

With regards to either of these engines, you should remember that they are tools, sometimes you may require one tool over another. In the same way that when I put together flat pack furniture from Ikea, a sledgehammer is invariably not the most appropriate tool, so I select something else (even if I may often wish to take the sledgehammer to it)…

Not wanting to learn other languages will close doors for you, much better to be open-minded and willing to learn different techniques, tools, software and languages so that you can accomplish many tasks and then make informed decisions with regards to which are the best tools for the job yourself - in my opinion.

This article is a few years old now, but it lists the top ten games (at the time) made in Unity;

I personally have not given any consideration to which is best, I just try to learn as much in as many areas as possible and accept that invariably in life, there are often many ways to accomplish the same thing.

2 Likes

Ok Thanks

1 Like

You’d have to look at screenshots from games side by side to see what you really like better. For instance, BattleTech is a very recent Unity game that I think portions of look great. However, something that seems similar to myself is how bland the landscape environments tend to be when looking at BattleTech and Wasteland 2. They both have the same sort of aesthetic to my eye, for what it’s worth.

Checkout the book of the dead trailer on YouTube. Unreal seems to have been used to make more AAA titles, but whatever Unity did in 2018 is just unbelievable in terms of graphics.
Book of the Dead was made with Unity 2018 from my understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2CZ37tfGvM&t=109s

Holy wow - that game looks amazing.

unreal better graphics

Privacy & Terms