Unity flare prefab problem

The prefab flare object used in this video has a square/cube artifact around it (for me) which pulsates along with it. In the video, there was no such artifact and it looked like a real flare instead of some kinda blocky minecraft thing like mine. I tried Googling this problem, but all the results I get are about lens flare instead of the Unity standard asset “flare.” Any idea’s on how to fix?

I just figured out that the fog is causing that. When I toggle off Fog in scene view, the flare looks as it’s supposed to.

Looks to me the particle effect being emitted is a square, with a texture of a solid square / solid color with a alpha channel. Try editing the actual particle being emitted to the same type of square, only add a solid alpha ring around it for the appearance of a circle instead of a square, then boosting the amount of particles emited to their lifespan, this should being a more flush glow effect.

I actually just changed the shader over to Particles/Additive instead of the mobile - particles - additive and that fixed the issue for me.

3 Likes

A bit late :slight_smile: but thanks that worked like a charm, how on earth did you find that though! ?

The mobile shaders are going to be more efficient for mobile devices but are going to have less polygons/lines/suboptimal on visual effects. It was just trial and error.

Privacy & Terms