Unity Course?

I’m enjoying the gamedev.tv courses and was looking to get into VR and AR development. Most of your courses involve Unity (I’m taking Unity Developer 2.0), but I noticed this course is based on Unreal. Can you share why you chose this platform? Are you planning on creating a VR or AR course for Unity?

Thanks. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Perhaps one for @sampattuzzi.

1 Like

They had a Unity VR course; it is still on the forums here but seems to have been removed from the Udemy store.

If I had to make a dumb guess I would say they chose UE since they seem to be in the process of updating thier UE courses. They may also be taking a wait and see attitude for Unity 2018 to release. Once they see what changes have been made and how they impact development in areas like VR they will redo the Unity VR course

1 Like

Good thoughts. Thanks so much for the reply!

1 Like

Hi guys,

I cant say whats happening for the future of Unity VR but i can say what happened to the previous course.
With unity VR updating so rapidly at the time the course was made the quality of the course was not up to standard with what gamedev.tv wanted to produce.
Now as said i cant say what will happen in the future as i cant speak for Sam and the team.

This said however i didnt want you guys to think that it was a decision to only go with unreal and the unity course was removed for any reason other than quality control.

The unreal course for multiplayer was a stretch goal of the unreal course but it soon became apparent that the course was too big to contain both. So a separate course had to be made as the promise was made to the kickstarters of the course.

Sam i hope will give some more information on the future of unity with VR but i haven’t got back to the unreal multiplayer course myself so its likely he is still making content there at the moment.

TLDR Unity course didnt meet quality control. Unreal VR promised stretched goal within the unreal course so made separate,

Please note this is from the student side of me following the prior announcements and video updates (I think bens wistia @Rob you know the links?)

2 Likes

Blog : https://blog.gamedev.tv/farewell-vr-course/
Course Suggestions : VR/AR Complete Unity Course
GitHub: https://github.com/VirtualRealityDesigner
Official Wikis : GameDev.tv GitHub Repositories

3 Likes

Very helpful. I appreciate the background @Marc_Carlyon and the links @Rob.

James

3 Likes

No problem James. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your are most welcome, And thanks @Rob :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the main reason. We would love to do some VR in Unity as well. It’s just a question of having time to do it.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms