Unit Animator

In this lecture it was stated that the “Exit Time is a normalized value that is between 0 and 1.” I don’t believe this is true. It depends on the length of the animations that you are transitioning from. If you are transitioning from a short animation that will play several times before transitioning, the whole value seems to indicate how many times the first animation will play before it transitions to the next animation. Looking at my attached screen shot, it will be playing the first animation the second time when it does the transition, so it has the number 1.36. If it would be the third time, the number would be 2.##.

Anyway, just moving around the transitions and noticed this. Please correct anything that I might have said incorrect. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 5.40.23 AM

You are correct, but also not quite. It is a normalized value between 0 and 1, with 1 being 100% of the animation duration. If a clip is 1 second long, 1 is equal to 1 second. If the clip is 5 seconds, 1 is equal to 5 seconds.
Exit time is how much of the animation is played before it exits the transition. A value of 1.36 means that 136% of the animation will be played. That is, one full clip, and then another 36% of the clip. At that point, the animation will start transitioning out. If the value is - like in your example - 2.## it will play the clip twice (200%) and another ##% before starting the transition.

2 Likes

For clarity, Normalized is a very fancy way of saying percentage of the animation’s length. It is currentAnimationTime / totalAnimationTime. We do something very similar when we want to show a health bar. We take the current health amount and divide it by the maximum health amount.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms