Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error on code

I am taking the “Unreal Engine C++ Developer” course and am on the BullCowGame section of the course. I changed my code, compiled it with no errors, but when I ran it I got the error in the title. The error stack it gives me is:

LoginId:ca9c85284291e4d7b997ada36ebdaf92
EpicAccountId:dc890ec830b84f35a90aebf4f79911e8

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000000000e0

UE4Editor_BullCowGame_5144!UTerminal::PrintLine() [C:\Unreal Projects\BullCowGame-starter-kit\BullCowGame-starter-kit 4.27\Source\BullCowGame\Console\Terminal.cpp:47]
UE4Editor_BullCowGame_5144!UCartridge::PrintLine() [C:\Unreal Projects\BullCowGame-starter-kit\BullCowGame-starter-kit 4.27\Source\BullCowGame\Console\Cartridge.cpp:22]
UE4Editor_BullCowGame_5144!UBullCowCartridge::InitGame() [C:\Unreal Projects\BullCowGame-starter-kit\BullCowGame-starter-kit 4.27\Source\BullCowGame\BullCowCartridge.cpp:9]
UE4Editor_BullCowGame_5144!UBullCowCartridge::BeginPlay() [C:\Unreal Projects\BullCowGame-starter-kit\BullCowGame-starter-kit 4.27\Source\BullCowGame\BullCowCartridge.cpp:19]
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

The code I changed before the crash is this:

#include "BullCowCartridge.h"

void UBullCowCartridge::InitGame() {
    lives = 4;
    HiddenWord = TEXT("cake");
    PrintLine(TEXT("Enter the hidden word, then press enter: ")); // I added this line here
    bGameOver = false;
}    // This is line 9.

void UBullCowCartridge::EndGame() {
    ClearScreen();
    bGameOver = true;
}

void UBullCowCartridge::BeginPlay() // When the game starts
{
    InitGame(); // I added this function here
    Super::BeginPlay();    // This is line 19.
}

void UBullCowCartridge::OnInput(const FString& Input) // When the player hits enter
{
    if (bGameOver == true || lives <= 0) {
        ClearScreen(); //If the game is over, clear the screen and initilize again.
        BeginPlay();
    }

if (bGameOver == false) {
        if (Input == HiddenWord) {
            PrintLine(FString::Printf(TEXT("You have won.\nThe hidden word was indeed %s."), *HiddenWord));
            bGameOver = true;
        }
        else if (lives <= 0) {  // I added this else if statement.
            PrintLine(TEXT("The game is over, press enter to play again.")); 
        }
        else {
            PrintLine(TEXT("You have lost.\nHere is a clue, the word is actually %i letters long."), HiddenWord.Len());
            --lives;
            PrintLine(TEXT("The current number of lives you have left is %i."), lives);
        }
    }
}

I have the log file if you need it, I don’t know how to put it in here tho.

Super::BeginPlay() needs to be the first call in BeginPlay as that is what sets the Terminal component which is used for PrintLine which you are using in InitGame

Oh I see, thanks for pointing that out to me!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms