Unable to reach editor preferences menu

Hi there, I’m currently trying to make VSCode my default editor in Unreal, since I’m using a Mac whose default. However when I go to the “edit” menu in the toolbar, there is no option to open “editor preferences” as Sam does in the video. As a result I cannot find where to change the default editor. Is there a way for me to do that in a different way, or is there something that I am missing (perhaps the wrong version of the software, although I am using v5.02)? Please let me know, thank you!

It should be in the macOS menu bar under the app name Unreal Engine.

Got it, thanks Dan. Now that I’ve done that and created the MovingPlatform actor class in VS Code, I am trying to Run the build task as Sam says to do in the instruction. However when I press command + shift + B, no tasks come up in the search bar for me to select from. Do you know what I might be doing wrong? In case it helps, I am referring to the instructions from Lecture 43: Compiling a C++ Project.

Thank you!

Could you show your VS Code window please?

Sure thing. Here’s the screen after I press run build task.
Image 7-24-22 at 6.28 PM Small

Last picture seems to have been blurry, here’s a better one.

You don’t have the workspace open. Is the code-workspace file empty?

Yes, the workspace ObstacleAssault.code-workspace file has no text in it.

I opened up the workspace by clicking Open Visual Studio Code in the Unreal Editor.

See this thread:

Here’s what I have now. It’s still giving me the same problem. I am also not sure if I have put the correct path; my unreal application is on my desktop.

If that’s where Unreal is then that looks fine. Now you just need to open that via File > Open Workspace.

I did File > Open Workspace from File (there was no option for just Open Workspace) then chose the document called ObstacleAssault.code-Workspace. However that seems to do nothing and Run Build Task still doesn’t work.

Do you have a .vscode folder? Would you mind showing what your VS Code window looks like now?

Here’s what I’ve got. I did not see a .vscode folder when choosing workspace from file.

If you now do Tools > Refresh VS Code Project does that leave you with an empty workspace file again?

Okay, that worked. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms