Unable to launch Unreal Editor

Hi, I have started the C++ course with Unreal, and I am at the start section for Bulls and Cows game, however I am unable to launch my Unreal Editor, I am currently on macOS: BigSur 11.4 and using Unreal Editor 4.26.2 and also tried couple of other versions but whenever I just launch the editor, it crashes half way of initialising.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/1039412/unreal-editor-4262-wont-launch.html

Can anyone assist?

What mac do you have?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
macOS: BigSur 11.4
Xcode: 12.5
Unreal Editor: 4.26.2

Doesn’t sound like that should be an issue. Have you tried verifying your engine installataion?
verify

Yes I tried that too, still crashing. Something is just not right. I have posted on Unreal Answer Hub but now I can’t seem to login there for couple days, the login page gives error.
I went ahead to try out the troubleshooting steps mentioned here:

https://www.epicgames.com/help/en-US/epic-games-store-c73/launcher-support-c82/troubleshooting-epic-games-launcher-issues-a2676

And yet it didn’t work either.

Have you checked the process monitor to see if it’s just running in the background?

Yes I checked, it is not running in background.

I do have the crash report too, not sure how can it be useful.

What does that contain?

Contains some information regarding the crash but hard to decode for me.
You can take a look at it here:

From what I can tell that doesn’t appear to say what caused the crash.

This is the more relevant part of the crash log

=== Critical error: ===
SIGSEGV: invalid attempt to access memory at address 0x3

[2021.07.12-02.51.22:396][ 0]LogMac: 0x099e6757 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FGenericPlatformMisc::RaiseException(unsigned int) [UnknownFile])
0x09b7a673 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FMacErrorOutputDevice::Serialize(char16_t const*, ELogVerbosity::Type, FName const&) [UnknownFile])
0x09c88799 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FOutputDevice::LogfImpl(char16_t const*, …) [UnknownFile])
0x0cb4eb06 UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!auto FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::WriteNewTasks()::$_116::operator()<FLogCategoryLogShaderCompilers, char16_t [57], char16_t const*>(FLogCategoryLogShaderCompilers const&, char16_t const (&) [57], char16_t const* const&) const [UnknownFile])
0x0cb4e4cd UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::WriteNewTasks() [UnknownFile])
0x0cb52315 UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::CompilingLoop() [UnknownFile])
0x0cb4d029 UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!FShaderCompileThreadRunnableBase::Run() [UnknownFile])
0x09a863b8 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() [UnknownFile])
0x09a129a4 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) [UnknownFile])
0x2051d8fc libsystem_pthread.dylib!_pthread_start() [UnknownFile])
0x20519443 libsystem_pthread.dylib!thread_start() [UnknownFile])

That doesn’t say a whole lot more other than in FMacErrorOutputDevice::Serialize it read an invalid memory address. Installing the debug symbols would get you more information but I don’t think that would be much better information as to what lead to it.

You can install that from the options menu here
options

Thanks. I Tried with the debugging symbols the information is about the same :

LogMac: === Critical error: ===
SIGSEGV: invalid attempt to access memory at address 0x3

LogMac: 0x01ff8757 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FGenericPlatformMisc::RaiseException(unsigned int) [UnknownFile])
0x0218c673 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FMacErrorOutputDevice::Serialize(char16_t const*, ELogVerbosity::Type, FName const&) [UnknownFile])
0x0229a799 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FOutputDevice::LogfImpl(char16_t const*, …) [UnknownFile])
0x05160b06 UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!auto FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::WriteNewTasks()::$_116::operator()<FLogCategoryLogShaderCompilers, char16_t [57], char16_t const*>(FLogCategoryLogShaderCompilers const&, char16_t const (&) [57], char16_t const* const&) const [UnknownFile])
0x051604cd UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::WriteNewTasks() [UnknownFile])
0x05164315 UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::CompilingLoop() [UnknownFile])
0x0515f029 UE4Editor-Engine.dylib!FShaderCompileThreadRunnableBase::Run() [UnknownFile])
0x020983b8 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() [UnknownFile])
0x020249a4 UE4Editor-Core.dylib!FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) [UnknownFile])
0x2051d8fc libsystem_pthread.dylib!_pthread_start() [UnknownFile])
0x20519443 libsystem_pthread.dylib!thread_start() [UnknownFile])

Sorry but I’m unable to find any solutions just people with similar issues.

Just one last thing though, do you have enough space left?

Yes I do have more than 150GB left in my Mac.
No worries, I submitted the Bug form too, hoping Unreal responds well. But coming from Unity eco system, its a bit disappointing as Unreal Answerhub can’t even be logged in, and they don’t have proper support channels compared to Live chats in Unity.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms