UI Icons 8x8 & 16x16

icons
icons@4x

First I made a couple of icons with the 8x8 restriction.

icons-big
icons-big@2x

Then I decided to make the same icons, but in 16x16.
All of a sudden this new resolution felt really high-res. When in previous challenges it’s felt somewhat restricted.

6 Likes

It does feel high-res when put side by side, doesn’t it. Maybe do a 12x12 in-between now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s a good idea

icons-medium
icons-medium@2x

Honestly not too different from the 16x16 ones. I think I messed up some of the proportions compared to the 16x16 versions, but you get the idea :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very recognizable!

I quite like these, it seems the optimal size for this kind of icon IMO. I’m being annoying now but could also try 10x10 so you get full 8x8 for the colour and the extra 2 pixels are reserved for the outline.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. I prefer 12x12. It’s has the best balance of restriction vs. detail in my opinion.

icons-medium-small
icons-medium-small@3x

I tried 10x10, but it’s not that different from 12x12. Just slightly less detail. It’s especially noticeable in the potion icon. I couldn’t make it as round in the bottom as the other ones. It has more of a rounded triangular shape now as opposed to the pear shape in the higher resolution images.

icons-medium-small-alt
icons-medium-small-alt@3x

For good measure I also made this alternative version, as I achanged up the designs and lighting slightly when I did the higher res versions.

2 Likes

Creating icons in both 8x8 and 16x16 resolutions is a cool challenge. It does give off that nostalgic old-school game vibe, doesn’t it? Sometimes, working within constraints can spark creativity and make you appreciate the intricacies of each pixel.But if you’re still on the hunt for ways to make your icon creation process smoother, here’s a suggestion: consider trying a vector image generator. It can help simplify the design process, especially if you need to scale your icons to various sizes. It’s like having a creative assistant at your fingertips.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms