Uh.............?

I appreciate the concepts of delta time but do you really think its appropriate in a beginners class?

I would say that this concept is appropriate for a beginner’s class. Understanding how an object and/or its properties change over time is foundational to most types of programming. It is an incredibly useful concept that enables developers to understand dynamic programs.

As a small bit of constructive feedback, in the future you may find better support if you use titles that are more descriptive than “uh…”. Don’t get discouraged if some of these concepts are tricky to grasp at first. Nobody becomes an expert overnight, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Clearly defining the problem you might be having will help the community answer your question :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

I have been a huge fan of GameDev.tv and their courses. I started my game development journey with them using Unreal Engine 4 and then Unity. Now I am interested in Godot. This explanation of delta time has been a really great lesson on how it works. It’s absolutely detrimental to developing video games. Especially considering without knowledge of how it works you can’t guarantee that your game will run correctly on any machine that a user wants to play it on. Because computer’s aren’t like console’s there’s no guarantee that everyone has the same specs within their system. Using delta time correctly helps ensure that no matter what hardware a user has, the game will play the same.

Privacy & Terms