UGameplayStatics error at compile time

@ben and his colleague @sampattuzzi and OTHERS (Smile!!!) I was wondering if you could look again at the video tutorial that you’d both made from the BattleTank tutorial from 2016,

Firstly when compiling to check that the turret of the tank aims correctly I seem to be getting a warning stating:
LogTemp: Warning: Aiming at X=-nan Y=-nan Z=-nan (this is highlighted in the red weird circle!)

I have found an error regarding the function AimAt() function and the data that has been passed to it via the UGameplayStatics call. I have included the exact duplicate of the source code that @ben has taught which is shown below:

However when selecting compile on the editor its showing these three errors (I think the code needs updating because it is from 2016). Here’s the output log:

I hopefully with minimal success, managed to download the three screen grabs, of the issues; currently, I’m having, have added it to the forum in the form of a screen grab as the code is exactly the same as Ben’s source code tutorial; however I’m currently using the updated version 4.19.2 and the tutorial is based upon 4.11 (which by now is outdated)

The two errors that I’ve noticed are from the same tutorial Section 4 BattleTank - A Fun Tank Battle with Mortars Section 140. Predict Projectile Landing Point, regarding the AimAt () function starts from 4:48 and finishes when Ben starts to compile and selects play, and the final error is on thhe same tutorial, that starts at 07:23. It won’t compile, I’ve checked the code and re-checked.

Can either @ben, @sampattuzzi or another udemy student, help clarify why the two errors are occurring and ask Ben or sam to update the errors seen in this post on the video?

Many thanks
Brandon

PS: the images seen on the screen are copied in error, there should only be one. Here is what should have been posted, regarding the 3rd line that has been circled in RED

Compile%20error%20regarding%20Aiming%20for%20the%20turret

PPS: Sorry for the duplicate cutting and pasting of what is seen in this post, still getting used to asking these questions. @sampattuzzi would it be possible if you could send me the link for the Q & A I don’t know where to post questions like this in the future?

Here is the output pane showing the error from the call of using UGamePlayStatics::Suggest…

Hey there,

While i am not that experienced myself and i haven’t reached to that part of the course yet, these errors looks like #include errors. If you are using Visual Assist try right-clicking and press “Add Include”. Otherwise, just google the lines that are giving you errors and look for header destinations in the documentation.

1 Like

How’s it going Ozgur

Thanks for your reply. It was strange because after I wrote that message I was thinking about the header includes (after I had finished and pressed “Reply!” I went back to it a few hours later and tried the Gameplaystatics.h file and it cleared the error.

But now I’m into the realm of the projectile not firing once pressing the F key so that’s going to be the next mission! Hopefully I can get that solved today. Hopefully that is.

Thank you for your help, its good to know there is someone listening. When I get stuck again I know who to come to see for some sound development advice.

All the very best
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

For questions which relate to course content, if you require an answer, especially promptly, your best bet is to use the Q&A in the course on Udemy. There are student instructors who look after each course and should be able to answer most of the questions that are raised, and where they are not, they are escalated to the GameDev.tv for either an answer which is passed on, or, a direct response.

Obviously you are more than welcome to post in the community forum also, but you are more likely to see responses from those in the community than the instructors of the courses.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

HI Rob

Many thanks for that info, I’ll look back at the video tutorials to locate the direct access to the Q & A information (if that makes any sense) and use this forum as a back up as a just in case!

Have a wonderful day and thanks to all for participating with my queries!
Best regards to all
Brandon :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re very welcome Brandon.

For reference, each lecture, within each section, has a series of links under Resources, those will point you to any additional resources for that lecture, but also there is a specific link to the relevant section of this forum for that specific lecture. In addition, at the bottom of the Udemy video player, there is the Q&A button. Clicking on that during a lecture will enable you to post a question/query/comment about that lecture specifically, where-as if you just browse to the main course content view on Udemy and click the Q&A, you will see an unfiltered list of all of the Q&A topics for that course.

There is, of course, the Discord service also for live-chat with other students. There server is categorised by a channel for each of the courses.

1 Like

Sorry for the responses and the many, many questions Rob, (disability got some serious gaming development questions to ask) so I’m at your humbly mercy to get things right once I’m settled back into the realm that we ernjoy

First question. Do you have the link so I can connect with other students in the discord service, I’ve downloaded the app on my phone and I’m just about to download the same link on my laptop. Would it be possible if you could send a URL link?

Second question. If you know @ben and @sampattuzzi could you ask them from me if they are going (any timer soon to update there tutorials for the BuildingEscape and the BattleTank demo to the latest 4.19.2 version as I’m getting some errors (that will be posted in the discord community, once the direct URL link has been sent) in both tutorials as they were using I think 4.11 for the Building Escape tutorial and as I checked yesterday @ben had just moved upto I think 4.12 version, that’s nearly 2 years old now! Since that time there’s been some fundamental changes in both the UI within the Unreal Engine and the classes within the IDE that needs to be looked into!

Could I ask in kind if you could pass on this message to Ben or Sam so they could decide what to do with those video tutorials?

Many thanks again Rob
Brandon

PS: Don’t forget the URL for the direct link to discord app

Hey Brandon,

No need to apologise at all.

The link for the Discord server can be found at the bottom of the GameDev.tv webpage;

Regarding the changes, I would post this one under the Q&A on Udemy, the student instructor for the course may know, but if not, will raise it directly with the team. As you have tagged them both on the forum it is possible that they will see your query and respond directly, but due to time constraints I don’t believe they dip in and out of the forum too frequently at the moment.

One thing I would point out is that at the moment they are refreshing some of the content in the original Unity course, bringing it up to speed with the more recent version(s) of Unity, as such, I see no reason why they wouldn’t also consider this perhaps for the Unreal course, but of course, it all takes time to re-produce the course content, so I couldn’t say for any certainty when this may happen.

The Course Ideas category is a good place to perhaps look to see if anyone else has raised/suggested this, and if not, its certainly worthy of a post. They do not all necessarily need to be new course ideas after all.

You could then link to that post in your query on the Udemy Q&A, suggestion only :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms