UE4 Editor error when creating new project on Mac

I’m at the very beginning and trying to start my first project (Section 1, Lecture 8: A Quick Tour Of Unreal Editor), but unable to create one. It says “An error occurred while trying to generate project files” and gives this:

Running Mono…

Setting up Mono
/Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.13/Engine /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.13/Engine/Binaries/Mac
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
Compiling with non-standard Xcode (xcode-select): /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/
Triggered an exception while looking for SDK directory in Xcode.app
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs’ not found.
at System.IO.Directory.ValidateDirectoryListing (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean& stop) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x00000] in :0
at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories (System.String path) [0x00000] in :0
at UnrealBuildTool.AppleToolChain.SelectSDK (System.String BaseSDKDir, System.String OSPrefix, System.String& PlatformSDKVersion, Boolean bVerbose) [0x00000] in :0
ERROR: Invalid SDK MacOSX.sdk, not found in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs

Info:
-running a relatively new macbook pro running osx 10.12.2 Sierra
-tried uninstalling and reinstalling Epic Games Launcher
-tried UE 4.14 with no luck, then tried 4.13 with the same error
-repaired disk permissions multiple times, no improvement
-restarted the computer multiple times, no improvement

I’m considering trying to use earlier versions of UE (as far back as 4.10, I suppose), but I’m hoping that before I try that someone will know how to help me out.

2 Likes

So this is before ever getting into Unreal? Also is there a problem with creating a blueprint project? And what version of Xcode?

xcode is 8.2.1

I also just tried installing UE 4.10 to see if that would help things, too.

Yes, I have never been able to get into Unreal properly. Just the startup screen with the options for making a new project. I’m not sure what a blueprint project is, but I just tried starting that up and it seems to load fine. I then tried creating a new C++ project and ran into the same error.

Thanks for the reply! I’m more than happy to try any other suggestions you may have.

The error clearly tells you that you have not installed the Command Line tools.

“ERROR: Invalid SDK MacOSX.sdk, not found in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs”

Always pay attention to errors even when they are not clear enough

Turns out there’s a setting in Xcode’s preferences under Locations which needs to be turned on. The part in the image called ‘Command Line Tools:’ was blank, so I toggled on the only option available.

I tried creating a new project and it worked. Next, I’m going to reinstall UE 4.14 and confirm that it’s working there, too.

6 Likes

My hate towards C/C++ is partly because of building issues. A problem like the one you had is pretty common and one of the easy ones, so get use to trying to debug the building process this not the last time.

Be patient and never blame yourself, blame the implementation and the whole terrible design that people name C/C++

but in the end its a necessary evil

Thanks Bro

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms