UE 5 GetOwner()->GetName() ID Name Issue

Edit: This is actually not a solution after all. I am misconstrued my Cube and Spheres ‘Label’ for ‘ID Name’. I am still trying to wrap my head around how to find ID Names in UE5.

Hi I am a complete newbie and this is my first post on the forum, but I am excited to become more engaged with the community. I really the unreal engine 5 UI and am doing the tutorial with the latest preview.

I ran into a issue where I would get the ‘static meshes name’ instead of the ‘actors name’ when I tried running this line of code in UE 5 (shown below)

This is the output I received while running the code (shown below).

I found a simple fix to get the actors name by running “GetActorNameorLabel()” which is shown in the image below.

This is the output I recevied while running the code (shown below).

I tried doing the tutorial in unreal engine 4 and it worked like in the tutorial videos. I hope this helps someone, however I am open to being told what I am doing wrong. I am genuinely curious what changed from UE 4 to UE 5 that causes this. I want to learn if I need to do something else in the engine or to my sphere. Also, if this is the new way to get an actors name in UE 5 or a bug that needs to be fixed in the preview.

I want to post this in the unreal engine forums, but I am a little nervous about asking a question that has already been answered. Please let me know if you think I should post there too.

I haven’t ever tried UE4 but when we log out the owner name it returns the Id name of the following actor, not the name given by us.

As you can see from the below screenshot that the name given by me to Actor is SM_Door, but as you hover over your cursor to the actor, it shows the id name, which is SM_Door_10 in my case.

Please check the Id name of your cube. Does it match with the ObjectName?

Hi, first off thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I am having trouble figuring out how to see or access the ID Name for my objects in UE5. Instead it shows the label now, as seen when I renamed “Cube3” to “BobCube” below.

I figure I should delete my post now as I would be spreading incorrect information. I now understand that what I am accessing is my objects or shapes “label” not “ID Name”. Another reason may be because this is an UE4 course and I am trying to ask questions about UE5. I will post on the unreal forums to hopefully get an answer on what happen to ID Names.

One thing I am considering is that it may be possible that the ID Name might be “StaticMeshActor_0” since I found out that shapes are StaticMeshActors.

You can add a column for the ID Name by right clicking the header

I suggest you don’t as the replies clarified your misconception and might help others.

Thank you sooo much! This is what I needed to troubleshoot and confirm further. It turns out that “StaticMeshActor_0” was the ID Name for my Cube. I was just expecting it to say “Cube_0” like in UE4. So basically everything was working fine from the start. I was just doubting the engine.

I appreciate you helping me figure this out and I will leave the post up.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms