Udemy Website Issues?

Hello All,

Over the last 4-5 days I have been experiencing issue with the Udemy site with pages loading extremely slowly, errors popping saying I lost video playback, losing the playback bar, and just plain not working at all. With one page it took over 2 hours to get about halfway through only to have it cut out after that. I don’t have a problem streaming other sites, YouTube for instance works fine. And the Pay TV sites all load/stream just fine as well.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Is it a known problem with the FireFox browser? Like I said it only happened in the last week before that is was plain sailing. And one other thing is when the pages do load now they load and the playback bar stays up constantly before that the playback bar disappeared after a couple of seconds with the playback bar constantly up I have missed a couple of small things. And the video quality cannot be changed above 720p.

Thankyou and Regards,
Vaughan.

Hi Vaughan,

It’s ok here for me, but it’s not really a fair test. I suspect they have their servers in more than one data center and I would imagine that where we are both geographically located plays a part in to which ones we hit.

I use Google Chrome and it’s typically fine, even at the highest quality playback. The support page for Udemy covers the basic stuff, clearing temporary internet files/cache, closing the browser, rebooting your computer, but after that, it would really be a case of contacting them directly if you are still having problems. I appreciate that probably doesn’t help a lot, but it isn’t something the team really have any control over. Having just checked that support page, it does actually go into a lot more detail than it ever used to, which is a good thing and probably worth a look.

I do recall about two years ago there were a lot of problems, but that all seemed to settle down after a while and I would probably put that down to Udemy change their platform, migrating to other locations or whatever.

The email address for Udemy’s support people is support@udemy.com, the support page is linked below.

See also;

There was a post that popped up in the Q&A section last week with someone else experiencing issues:

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/learn/v4/questions/4068672

As I said there I haven’t had any issues myself so probably best to contact Udemy if it keeps up as Rob has suggested.

1 Like

Thankyou @Rob and @Martyn_Stewart for taking the time to respond. I just wanted to know if any other users were experiencing problems because then when I complain to Udemy they will take it a little more seriously than they otherwise would. You know when they hear I’m from a backwater country like Australia they can treat me with complete contempt than say from a country like Japan or South Korea.

I will contact them nonetheless, however, I don’t hold out much hope. Like I said it’s only been during the last week that the problems started. And I’ve done all the basic stuff that you would do in such cases.

I will try using Chrome in the meantime and see if that corrects the issues.

Cheers,
Vaughan.

1 Like

Hey @Vaughan_MacEgan, I too have been experiencing loading issues with the Udemy site, its basically unusable at the moment. I am using Chrome & am also on the bottom end of the world.
Did you have any luck contacting support?

1 Like

G’day @Corey_Wakelin,

I did contact Udemy - got back to me surprisingly quickly - but, no joy in finding out WHY the loading problems just started to occur last week. They just gave the stock standard answers you would expect clear the cache and temp files, check line speed, update the browser, you know the stuff you would always do in such a case. Plus one really strange one turning off all hardware acceleration (in FIreFox or on Windows) - balked at that one. And in my case I hate the Quantum browser - with a passion. So, much so, I went back to the older version and stopped all upgrade features. Udemy also recommended Chrome using the latest version which was pretty much the only viable alternative from ninite.com. And for me that has Udemy up and running again although now with Udemy the ability to run at 1024p has disappeared completely - I never used it except in rare circumstances but it was nice to know it was there. Did I mention I also don’t like Chrome :grinning: Yep, I hate just about everything.

Sorry, I couldn’t be of more help.

Cheers,
Vaughan.

1 Like

I believe Udemy instigated an upgrade some time ago which would offer the resolutions which were effectively available to you, e.g. they wouldn’t show a resolution which wasn’t going to work for you. I think there is also a process that each course goes through in the background at Udemy for this to be available also, but obviously the GameDev one’s already are.

It’s frustrating when things like this happen and you can’t get to the bottom of it but at least you are able to run the lectures again, even if in a non-favoured browser :wink:

I understand what Udemy are trying to do, but, the reality is that I run all my videos on YouTube at resolutions at 1080p, unless they were filmed at lower res. And, yes, I understand that they are substantially smaller company and probably don’t have the bandwidth and having the res lower probably stops the bottlenecks that must occur but still it does work for us here in our little backwater - when I cleared the cache and reloaded the site, a 1080p option was available :astonished: and started watching the vid in that res and it was working fine for the rest of that vid - till the browser crashed starting the next lecture and then the option was gone again. Thankfully it was taken away from me before I got used to it.

Actually running the course in another browser sort of works for me! That means I can have the docs or example code running in one browser, the course in another. You could of accomplished the same thing using Windows instead of tabs I hear you say … well, in my defense common-sense isn’t that common.

Cheers.

1 Like

I stumbled across something nice with Chrome the other day, I suspect other browsers may do it also, but you can cast from a specific tab. So I plugged my Chromecast into the TV, fired up the lectures in a tab, but it didn’t have to remain focused, so I could continue using the browser on my laptop and still have the lectures on the TV, angled towards me etc. When I was office based I had the luxury of three monitors, but this set works quite nicely from time to time. :slight_smile:

That’s pretty cool that you can do that with ChromeCast, never heard of that before!. It might be time to invest in a second monitor :sunglasses:.

Goodness knows I could do with the screen real-estate especially when using Pro-tools, it really, really, doesn’t like being minimized.

1 Like

Its been good for me, up until tonight. Basically unusable and the videos are buffering every few seconds. Very annoying.

Privacy & Terms