Twenty Past Eleven - State Diagram [ongoing]

I was really struggling with coming up with a story for the Text 101 lessons, so I decided to borrow a story from a Marty Robbins song. I’m apparently incapable of just doing a simple project to move on, so it sort of took on a life of its own. I’m pretty sure I’m about about two thirds of the way done with it as of this posting.

Screenshot 2019-12-25 at 2.35.43 PM

10 Likes

That appears to be one very detailed story. I look forward to reading it!

Figured I’d share this organized train wreck from a gunfight scene:

I want to read it _

1 Like

I started a new job in construction which has been seriously messing with my ability to work on the game, but here’s about where it stands today. A lot of it loops back on itself, so there’s a lot of proofing involved.

Hopefully it won’t be too long. I’ve made so much progress both on the story and the backend that I’m determined to see it through.

Clearly, when I originally posted, believing that I was about two thirds of the way done, I was very wrong. I now wonder if I’m even half-way done at this point.

When getting mildly burnt on out on story I’ve been tinkering with the state object script itself, and have edited it to include some simple bools to move to alternate state where an entirely new path might not be entirely necessary otherwise. Each state also has the potential to play a sound effect or change the background music upon entering.

It honestly just feels good to be able to work on it again.

This looks very intriguing :smiley:

1 Like

It occurred to me that I never posted anything readable. Obviously, there’s no real way for me to show off the entire chart without just linking to it on GDrive, but here’s a little snippet of the first couple of cards.

Progress has been very slow again, but I’m still plugging away at it.

2 Likes

Looking very good…no matter how long it takes, keep on going!

2 Likes

It’s a bit funny to me that my state chart has become so large that when I look at it after putting in what feels like a ton of work, it looks like almost no progress has been made. But thankfully, selecting the new state files in Unity provides a more objective representation, and shows that what may not look like much is actually 70+ new states.

I’ve also tinkered with the state script a bit more and added the potential for a narration of each state to be played, as well as created a menu to offer control over sounds and volumes.

I realize the above screenshot and info might be straying from the topic of this particular board, so I’m happy to move it elsewhere if it shouldn’t be here.

Edit: I also realize this is absolutely not how this lesson of the course should’ve been handled, and I’ve taken this way too far. :rofl:

1 Like

This is really amazing and inspiring! I’d say you have a talent for narrative design :smiley:
Are you planning to release/publish this game so we can play it? :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, most definitely! I’ve worked on this far too long to not release it in some way. :joy:

Although, if I’ll probably have to severely strip it down to post it anywhere to play online. As it stands, it’s getting fairly sizable with the amount of audio assets, and that’s before any narration is done (if I end up doing that at all).

Exactly.

1 Like

a little too far :joy:

1 Like

I haven’t made any progress on my state chart because I figured it wouldn’t be a bad idea to work on importing some of the several hundred states into Unity. That’s been a whole experience…

I wanted to show my State inspector though, since I’ve mentioned some of the other features I’ve added.

The State Type options mainly control minor changes to the background image and the transition fades between states.

Sounds are pretty self-explanatory.

The State Title field exists for error or formatting reporting. Pressing Shift+F12 will turn on an obnoxious red state title at the top-right of the screen, so if anyone catches anything I missed they can tell me exactly what page it’s on.

I separated the Option Text into its own fields because I figured that at some point soon the course will teach us how to make UI buttons, at which point I can have them port over there with the flip of a bool.

As for the Variable Sets and Alt States, at some point I realized I had made a horrible spider-web of interacting paths that absolutely should not interact due to a state 15-30 states back, and rather than make a truckload of duplicate states with super minor variances just to get back on track, it was either to just use some basic variables to diverge where necessary. I still have a lot of basically duplicate states, but this has helped a lot.

Sorry if this is in the wrong board; I can move it if necessary; I’ve just only really posted here about my text adventure, so it made sense to me to keep it all in the one thread.

wow. this looks incredible and I thought my state diagram is huge :sweat_smile:

Privacy & Terms