TV Man

Having issues with your TV? Can’t watch your show?
Fret not, for TV Man is on his way! With a head made for (and out of) TVs, he’ll fix your TV, no problem.
Be sure to throw a few gold coins his way!

After going through the lesson and essentially copying what Grant had, I decided to go through it again and make my own TV man from scratch. At some point, the design of my character reminded me of a certain Italian plumber, so I thought it would be fun to create a scene inspired by classic Mario games.

I have experience animating in Maya, so after having learned how to animate in Blender, it was pretty fun creating a run cycle for him here.

tv man loop effect

Looping the background was the hardest part. The trick is moving the background and not the character; you just have to sync it up properly. I struggled at first, but figured out a neat trick.

1. Animate your object so it starts in view of the camera and moves from one side to the other
  2. Go to the first frame, duplicate the object, and right click so you don’t move it
  3. Delete the animation data on duplicate object
  4. Go to the last frame and constrain the duplicate to original

This essentially “drags” the duplicate object behind the original and should allow it to loop perfectly. You can do the opposite for having the original object “follow” the duplicate: just duplicate it on the last frame, delete the animation data, and constrain it on the first frame.

Of course, depending on your camera placement and how fast you want objects to move, it will take a bit of trial and error.

4 Likes

Very effective well worked out.

Privacy & Terms