Try to make a stylized man to go with head

I made a caricature of a man to put my head on. It came together somewhat okay but, the file size in megs is really high. The file uses 1583.49M of memory and is really slow to do things with. It crashes often when trying to work with textures and materials. I would like to lower the poly count but don’t know how to do it. Also I tried making a texture for the arms and part of the neck that wasn’t part of the original head. I am having trouble with that probably because of the freezing that is going on in the huge file. Anyway, I thought others might be interested in what I am trying to do. BTW the character is not a representation of me or my body shape. :smirk:

3 Likes

Okay, if anyone is checking this picture out, I have an update on the file size. I forgot to apply the base and then apply the Multi Resolution modifier. When I did that, the file size became much more user friendly and Blender stopped bogging down and/or freezing. Moral, I guess, is make sure you apply the Multi-resolution modifier before playing around with objects in the scene.

Here is a render after I did all the above.

1 Like

This is really nice Richard, I like this guy (possibly all too familiar! :smiley: )… nice work, well done.

Thank you Rob. I am working on rigging him next so I can animate this guy!

1 Like

Fab… please do pop a little video up of him when you have, will be fun to watch… I am envisaging a little bit of a belly wobbly :smiley:

Got the rigging set up but the eyes don’t move with the body. I have my eyes parented to the body. I then made the rig and parented the body with weight to the bones but when I move the body or even just the head, the eyes stay without moving.

Any suggestions?

Here is the man in a pose so you can see that it is almost working.

1 Like

Just one more today. I think I fixed the eyes (still have irises not moving when I turn the head) but everything else works well and the eyes move when I move the other bones or re-position the man. So here he is taking his first step. It was done a bit quick as a test and the feet do glide a little instead of just stepping but it was done to see how much work I need to do to the rig. The only problem I see in the rig is there seems to be something on the cheek of the guy between his eye and ear. It is not planned to be there but it exists. It may be the frozen irises that are not moving with the bones.

1 Like

This is look awesome Richard - fantastic seeing this guy coming to life in your video, well done! :slight_smile:

I don’t really feel anywhere near qualified to give any technical advice on Blender yet. The only thing I can relate this to is a section in Michael’s “Characters” course, in there we gave bones to the eyes and parented them to a bone in the head. Then, we made a tracker which we could move freely and the eyes would follow. We set rotation limis on the eye balls so that they could only move so much in each direction. I’m guessing you have the eyes boned and parented to a bone in the head. Not sure if you have any restrictions in place, but any limitation in their rotations I guess would need to be for the “pose” rather than “world”?

Privacy & Terms