Try manual retopology. Weird stuff is happening

I’m following along with the demonstration. But things are not lining up. As you can see in the picture, I’ve added the mirror and the shrinkwrap, but when I set the offset, it deforms the plane and is no longer square. Any help would be appreciated. i’m very confused.

The plane is also jump away from the model pretty far.

1 Like

I tried changing the warp method to project and that appears to have fixed it.

Edit: It does not appear to be fixed. now the offset won’t push the plane away from the model. Instead the offset causes the plane to slide up and down the model.

1 Like

Move verts not edges. At least that is what I do.
So long as the HP was mirrored I see no reason for the verts to go to different places either side of the mirror. Is the LP central to the HP? Loks off to the left as I look at it but that might just be the angle of the viewport not being straight front on.

1 Like

Here is a vid of whats going on. Figured I would start from the beginning. I feel like i’m missing a step because when I first tried it, everything worked fine. but I messed up on something small and started over. from that moment on, every time I try this, I get a new weird shape when I offset the shrinkwrap. Some of them I could move the verts but many of then are really twisted up.

1 Like

Put the cursor on the origin point of the Model.
Add the plane. Do nothing to it.
Go to Edit mode.
Move the plane to the forehead on the right hand side of the centre line, roughly.
Add the mirror modifier tick clipping. Add shrink wrap modifier. ( I dislike the automirror, use it you prefer)
Enable snapping. Usually used as well.
Move the centre line verts, one at a time, towards their mirrored version till they clip in the middle.
Position the outer verts as desired and carry on extruding more verts out and placing them.

1 Like

Okay. I think that worked. Had to speed run it to show you in under a minute (that was kinda fun). It still looks like its really far away from my model for a 0.025 offset. Do you think thats a scaling issue? Like the model is to small or something.

1 Like

Might be scale, but done as I put down the scale should not have got changed.

0.025 is 2.5 cm. try 0.0025 2.5mm

1 Like

I got it working good. Thank you for your help. I have another question though…

Is there anything I can to to stop accidentally selecting verts while building the retopo? It’s coming along well but I keep having to backtrack because I will be working on the back of the head and accidentally select part of the face when I drag select.

1 Like

You can hide parts of the mesh ‘h’ command
Don’t use X-Ray.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms