Trouble with UV Maps in 2.83

I’m experiencing something unusual with UV maps since I switched to 2.83.

This is my desired result (Screen shot from edit mode with overlays disabled):
2020-06-11 22_29_35-Blender_ d__Desktop_Gold_Blends_Gold_(IngotModel)_02.blend

Which looks fine in edit mode:

But is all messed up in object mode (or when rendered):
2020-06-11 22_30_06-Blender_ d__Desktop_Gold_Blends_Gold_(IngotModel)_02.blend

I’m using two different images and multiple UV maps to apply the images as bump maps in different locations:

Here’s my node setup:

One curious thing is that it works fine with the “UV” output from the “Texture Coordinate” node, but not the “UV Map” node. Problem with that is that Texture Coordinate can’t specify which UV map you want to use, so I can’t use multiple UV maps.

Is the UV Map node just bugged? This used to work in 2.82.

1 Like

Seems like a bug… can you work around it by having at least one active Texture Coordinate UV Node, even if you don’t use it?

Thanks for the reply!

I can use the Texture Coordinate UV node, but in only references the first UV Map from the list.
2020-06-12 11_36_39-Window
In this case it references my “DragonMap”. Even with this node present, the UV Map node is still messed up. So this node setup (with a Texture Coordinate node and a UV map node):

Ends up looking like this in object mode (still OK in edit mode for some reason):

So you can see the dragon (who’s UV map is referenced by the Texture Coordinate’s UV output) is mapped correctly, but the border (which is from the UV map node) is nowhere to be seen.

I think the workaround for now will be to just combine the dragon and border to a single image so that I can map them both with a single UV map, but it is annoying. Basically we have lost the ability to use multiple UV maps.

1 Like

One of your normal image texture nodes is set to colour data the other non colour. No idea if at all a problem, or even the problem related.

2 Likes

I’ve seen solutions, where people adding normal maps. By splitting the normal map RGB values mixing red, blue and green independently of two maps and recreate a single normal map.

2 Likes

Good catch. Not quite sure what difference it makes but I’ve heard it’s supposed to be set to non-color for height maps. Didn’t fix it, though.

That’s an interesting idea. So each color would be a different map?

I tried to replicate the problem so that I could submit a bug report, but when I did it on a new project with a simplified model, it worked just fine. I’m going to have to investigate more.

This suggests there may be something wonky with your topology. Maybe go through the mesh cleanup steps (remove duplicates, recalculate normals, delete faces inside the model, etc.).

Also, something which may mess things up is if there is a modifier in your stack that kludges the UV values - you’d need to apply those modifiers first.

Oh I think this may have done it! I tried disabling my boolean modifier and it looks good. Will do some more testing and make sure.

You can not add two normal maps together.
You need to add RED, GREEN, BLUE individually !

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms