Trouble with Displaying References "In Front"

I wanted to get the discussion rolling here about viewing references in front of other meshes. We used this technique when making the pin—import an image as a plane, then draw over it.

The problem is, in 2.82 (not sure about earlier versions), editing a planes Viewport Display > In Front property (make the object draw in front of others) doesn’t work.

Using an Empty Image allows you to use In Front and adjust the alpha as expected, but we lose the ability to set the image dimensions.

A workaround I found was to set the cylinders Object Property > Display As to wireframe so I could see the background image while adjusting the mesh.

Anyone have any luck displaying the plane in front?

Edit: Mike actually calls this out in the next lecture, but the solution he uses is the same: display it as wire. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks,

I have been looking at this in view of a way to patch or redo the lecture.
This actually confirms the patch is correct and i can get this applied to the lecture soon.

Note this is only an issue with the add on images as planes as the issue doesnt arise if you use the same in-front (formerly X-ray) for bones when using an armature later in the course.

Let me know if this changes though!

Thanks for this I was having this same issue and it was driving me mad

Patch for this should be out soon pending review :slight_smile:

Awesome!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms