Trouble uploading an animated GIF file

First time making an animated GIF. I’ve seen others post them on this forum.

I just tried to create a thread with an animated GIF and the editor code was in the thread, but the gif wasn’t displaying, even after posting.

The GIF was about 8 seconds and about 4 MB - any ideas why it wouldn’t display - are there limitations I should be aware of?

1 Like

Not a format the site accepts I think. You have to host it elsewhere and link it here.

Ok, thanks for replying - I’ll try that tomorrow and mark solution if that works.

Seems a little odd this site wouldn’t host GIFs though - they can be very informative on occasion whether explaining or asking a question, as well as show off a little animation that isn’t quite worth uploading to YT.

LOL very personally I hate gifs. Can’t stop them to look at a particular point or issue.

In so far as GIFs as memes or flashing ad nonsense then I would say I agree… I didn’t used to like GIFs too.

But they have their place I think, especially as we can’t host video here, or often where video is just not necessary.

As I say above, I think GIFs can portray a thing sometimes better than a set of images or words in the case of a question or answer etc…

For example, I’m sure you’ve seen this recently which works perfectly as a GIF and for me shows how perfectly it works in place of a video.

Yes a finished product that is designed to loop it can be fine. I guess it is the use of them by people who want a problem diagnosed where a still image, or one that can be freeze framed is more useful.

You can use/upload gif’s but the file size is limited.

Limited to what size ?

Is this information somewhere on this site ?

Bump - anyone able to offer information about upload limitations on GIFs to this site?

?

Here is an answer, which helped me.

Jaco_Pretorius

14d

Gifs are very size-inefficient and there is a size-limit of something like 1Mb for .gifs on this site :cry:
You may have to drop frames or scale your animation a lot to get it to be under the size-limit.

@Blest - again thank you and I appreciate anyone trying to help.

The linked reply mentions “… get it to be under the size-limit.”

And I have no doubt that there is a precise file size limit (to host on this site).

Amazingly no one seems to know what this file size limit is, or anyone connected to this site in an official capacity - doesn’t seem to be engaged or active enough to be interested in answering a straight forward question with only one, clearly defined and unchanging answer.

@FedPete sorry but I can’t determine what you are trying to say with a " ? "

If you’re suggesting using a 3rd party GIF making site - I don’t want to.

I want to use FFmpeg and a simple batch file.

@Marc_Carlyon (edit) - I don’t know how else to get an answer at this point other than directly ask a support leader… not something I would have expected would be necessary for so simple a question.

Could you possibly address this thread as it seems only 2 weeks previously it was essentially asked already.

Might you also consider increasing the file size as my own attempt to upload (a relatively small) 4mb GIF was unsuccessful as was the other commenter as linked here who recently tried to upload a GIF.

Following many courses on this site - most videos usually end with something like “show your work” on the community forum!

The restrictive but as yet still unknown GIF file size doesn’t really go hand in hand with this message to share your creativity, particularly where a full video is overkill and a still image isn’t enough.

Making this information easily available would also be a suggestion I would make to promote sharing creativity.

My request here isn’t simply about my requirement - it’s become so tedious now I probably won’t even upload my file. But perhaps taking action now might benefit future requests.

I’d love to help you. However, I am also a humble student. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry on my phone… meant @Marc_Carlyon

1 Like

I may be completely wrong but it may be no one knows without just testing different sizes. I suspect this forum is a template run by some outside provider as I am sure the same system I have seen used elsewhere like Blender Artists.

There will be a database which either accepts or denies the file based on size amongst other things (and the ability to change the acceptable size) - anyone with access will be able to find that out in seconds.

I actually cant find an option other than some weird settings for mobile ad sizes.
As i particularly don’t know what i am looking at (These forums have the oddest settings as i am so used to phpforums).

@OboShape Have you found anything in your scanning?

think its file size related @Marc_Carlyon , @Josa_Booba

the file size limitation for images is 4096kb.
GIFs should be ok theyre not blocked, testing one saved from Giphy

Saved to desktop then uploaded using the image button on posting,
File Size 313k (scaled to 50% in post preview window after upload)

Testing uploaded GIF made using ScreenToGif , filesize 5Mb
test

-should have appeared here-

[EDIT] : so it looks like rather than warning about a filesize being too large, it could just ignore it.

Second Gif, shortened and 340kb

i would say its down to the file size, but ill have a dig around to see if theres a way of inserting a warning about file sizes. for now, i would say if it doesnt appear in the post preview then its not going to make it to live post

if you would like, pop me over the gif via googledrive or something and ill test further.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms